A few random thoughts following a drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few random thoughts following a drive

Was cool but sunny yesterday so I took #153 out for a long drive yesterday. I had a few things cross my mind:

- Hearing a little pre-detonation (aka "knock") between 3-4,000 RPM and then stomping on it. Anyone else get this and what did you do? Could be a result of not enough exercise? Bad gas?

- Finally occurred to me why the steering column mounted controls are freaking impossible to see (I have the Lotus wheel). Car was meant to have the propellor wheel - in which case, the indicators would be plainly visible.

- The rag top metal structure behind the headrests seems to be stuck about 1/4 of the way up. I can't get it to budge up or down at the moment. I'm considering just taking the contraption off the car altogether. Has anyone done this and does it look compromised in any way?

- Clutch pedal squeaks like a duck every time I push it in. Anybody have a lubricant they recommend and a hint on which component exactly needs the attention?

- Brake squeal at low speed coming to a stop at a light. I don't recall them doing this before or rarely anyway. Solutions - more exercise? New pads?

Great that you got to drive your car. We are only looking at it. Thursday it was -4F overnight upstate.

-I've been having the pinging on and off also. Has gotten much better with ethanol free gas, and a reset of the computer (master switch).

-A propeller steering wheel is also the right size....

-There are two spring loaded pins one the sides. That might help. Many tops have been taken off permanently, and the car looks so much better without it.

-I would try a little WD40.

-The old pads squeel like crazy. The new ones not, but I would have thought that your car would have the new pads.
    Rijk

Comment

Rijk's comment on the WD40 is juxtaposed to the brake Squeal comment so for health and safety reasons I should clarify not to put it on the brakes, but maybe on the clutch pedal joints.

I removed my roof and it was straightforward and looks a lot better, you can now see the cops behind you and so on. I shouldn't think rain is too much of an issue for you.

My brakes squeal a little when going slowly and I take it as them being too cool, so I get them a bit warmer and they're fine - the pedal feel softens a bit with heat too.

I have not heard/felt knocking, if anything I have a bit of a flat spot in the midrange (not a hole, just a more gradual flattening of torque before the power kicks in higher up)..

The other thing that happens in colder weather for me is that when cold the car is quite difficult to pull away smoothly in - very sensitive throttle; so I usually use second to avoid embarrassing kanagroo moments! This is worse depending on which car I last drove.

Comment

Originally posted by F Spider View Post
        Great that you got to drive your car. We are only looking at it. Thursday it was -4F overnight upstate.

-I've been having the pinging on and off also. Has gotten much better with ethanol free gas, and a reset of the computer (master switch).

-A propeller steering wheel is also the right size....

-There are two spring loaded pins one the sides. That might help. Many tops have been taken off permanently, and the car looks so much better without it.

-I would try a little WD40.

-The old pads squeel like crazy. The new ones not, but I would have thought that your car would have the new pads.
        I guess I should read the manual but is there a complicated ECU relearning process after a master switch reset? Had to go through this a few times with my Ferrari 360. Would love to know where to get Ethanol free gas. Grrr.

I have the actual ragtop off of the car (has been since I took delivery). I'm referring to the metal skeleton for the top. Has anyone removed that?

Originally posted by mrobin33 View Post
        Rijk's comment on the WD40 is juxtaposed to the brake Squeal comment so for health and safety reasons I should clarify not to put it on the brakes, but maybe on the clutch pedal joints.

I removed my roof and it was straightforward and looks a lot better, you can now see the cops behind you and so on. I shouldn't think rain is too much of an issue for you.

My brakes squeal a little when going slowly and I take it as them being too cool, so I get them a bit warmer and they're fine - the pedal feel softens a bit with heat too.

I have not heard/felt knocking, if anything I have a bit of a flat spot in the midrange (not a hole, just a more gradual flattening of torque before the power kicks in higher up)..

The other thing that happens in colder weather for me is that when cold the car is quite difficult to pull away smoothly in - very sensitive throttle; so I usually use second to avoid embarrassing kanagroo moments! This is worse depending on which car I last drove.
        Hah, I've had a couple kangaroo moments as well. I usually drive it barefoot and can manage the throttle to a very fine degree.

I think I can live with the brakes - the squeal is more race-car than NYC taxi-cab.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Eggo View Post
          I'm referring to the metal skeleton for the top. Has anyone removed that?
          As far as I know most of the owners who removed the soft top also got rid of the metal skeleton, making the C8 a real roadster
          Attached Files

Comment

After using the master switch, the car needs about 50 miles of relearning. A variation of speeds and roads is the best
            Rijk

Comment

Originally posted by SpykerOwner View Post
              As far as I know most of the owners who removed the soft top also got rid of the metal skeleton, making the C8 a real roadster
              Well, that took all of 5 minutes to remove that contraption. 3 (10mm) bolts per side and voila! I put the bolts back in to keep the shim/plate in place (and to not lose the bolts). Looks so much better now.

Comment

I know, as if it was designed that way:lol::lol::lol:
                Rijk

Comment

Looks so much better now.
                  Agreed

Comment

Looks so much better now.
                    We need pictures, just to make sure
                    Rijk

Comment

Pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not the best pic because lighting in the garage is dim.

Question: If you look closely, 2 of the 3 screws on each side only go about half way down before meeting some resistance. I didn't go all gorilla on it because I wasn't sure if it'd damage something beneath.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Question: If you look closely, 2 of the 3 screws on each side only go about half way down before meeting some resistance. I didn't go all gorilla on it because I wasn't sure if it'd damage something beneath.
                          The car looks so much better

I take it you are talking about the screws on the shim plates. Don't force it, they are just too long. Next weekend I can look if I have some shorties for you.
                          Rijk

Comment

Originally posted by F Spider View Post
                            The car looks so much better

I take it you are talking about the screws on the shim plates. Don't force it, they are just too long. Next weekend I can look if I have some shorties for you.
                            Yep, sorry - I was referring to the shim plates. If you find some proper fitting shorties, I'd be very grateful.

Comment

Sending shorties
                              Rijk

Comment

Working...
                              X