No announcement yet.

#003 - C8 Spyder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"You've probably heard of Damon Hill, though, and things being what they are I found myself recently squeezed into Spyker's latest effort - the C8 Double 12S - at a notorious test track in Bedfordshire. Frankly, neither of us knew what to make of it, and at least one of us was more than a little nervous. Since retiring at the end of 1999, Damon has largely avoided racing cars, but here we both were pulling on four-point harnesses and wondering exactly how worried we should be about the aroma of petrol that was slowly enveloping us.
    In truth, the Spyker was a bit half-baked, but in an impressive sort of way. The S model is merely a £200,000-plus street version of the R (Spyker's Le Mans 24-Hours contender) and it features all the expected racing accoutrements - an aluminium-alloy spaceframe chassis, somewhere in the region of 500bhp and brakes that could drag an errant Space Shuttle to a halt. I'd never driven anything as savage in my life, while Damon made it do things no human has any right to do to any piece of machinery, however powerful.
    We pummelled it mercilessly around the track for about five hours and it didn't miss a beat. Its Dutch guardians smiled beatifically, delighted, no doubt, that Hill hadn't barrel-rolled it down a hill. Not least because this very car was due to make its world debut at the motor show a few days later.
    So, go and see it. Be glad that it's there, and that Spyker is too. And say hello to Hans, Maarten and Victor if you see them.
    • BBC1 will be broadcasting Jason Barlow and Damon Hill's test drive of the Spyker C8 Double 12S tomorrow (Sunday Oct 27) at 3.50pm as part of Motor Show 2002."
    Winning on sunday, selling on monday!

Comment

In literature I read that this specific chassisnumber used to be owned by maarten de bruijn.. does anyone have more details about that ?
      Last edited by Jasperdd; 19-03-2017, 16:25.

Comment

The restauration is still going on and they are building the nose from scratch..

Comment

Great news Jasper, would it be possible to post some pics during restoration?
          Winning on sunday, selling on monday!

Comment

Removed everything and started all from scratch:

Then clean it and sanded

Then primer and sanding and primer and sanding etc etc

And finally

Coloring to original .. next will be new bolts and washers

Next to remove details to get this result;

Detail

Comment

Hi Jadperdd,

Awesome. Beautiful work!
              Scott

Comment

It's going to better than new
                Rijk

Comment

What a great project! And so nice to share the progress

Comment

In parallel we are working on the body work and since the nose was damaged too much we decided to build a completely new nose like CPP would have done it ! Of course same thickness as standard. During the sanding we noticed that the front end was painted at least 2 or 3 times but no dents were found underneath the paint. The nose was sanded to bare metal so a new piece can be fabricated

Next was making a mould out of my other CPP.. and hamering and hamering and bending and more hamering..

Comment

Yesss!! Found and purchased the EXACT insulation material since it was degreading and looked nasty. They are removing and renewing all the insulation..

This is how it looked :-(

Comment

Putting the insulation back where it was needed..

What a difference !

Comment

Wow, that is real progress. Can't wait to visit...
                          Rijk

Comment

Getting the nose together now by the skilled mechanic.

The color is sooooo beautifull and unique

Comment

So impressed by your work.

Comment

The work is going great!!

Since I am more of a visual person;you will find more pics then words. In the pic below you can see they are removing the powertrain and everything will be checked and renewed.. What a project !!

Comment

Working...
                                X