No announcement yet.

Aileron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can see that the wheels of the Aileron are directional. This means that the spokes are revolving in the same way, either on the left or on the right side.

What puzzles me is that the spokes seem to be drawing air into the brakes, while I would expect that the wheels would be reversed and extract air from the brakes. Cooling while creating a vacuum in the wheel wells.

what are your thoughts?
    Rijk

Comment

that is a keen observation... I guess the preference would be to have air blown to them. The air getting pulled in would be warmer since the velocity of the air would be reduced due to the "pulling" effect. If it is "pushing" the air the velocity would be increased due to the forward (hopefully!) motion of the car. This would allow MORE air to go over the brakes. Does that make sense? I'm not saying I'm right but this is my theory.

Comment

Originally posted by F Spider View Post
        I can see that the wheels of the Aileron are directional. This means that the spokes are revolving in the same way, either on the left or on the right side.

What puzzles me is that the spokes seem to be drawing air into the brakes, while I would expect that the wheels would be reversed and extract air from the brakes. Cooling while creating a vacuum in the wheel wells.

what are your thoughts?

I will probably provide better (force)cooling of the brakes. Better to force cold air in than to try sucking warm air out.

On the other hand, probably more obvious, is the optical aspect.
        When you are able to see the rotation while driving it will look more like an actual turbine......

Jeffrey

Comment

Originally posted by SpykerX3 View Post
          that is a keen observation... I guess the preference would be to have air blown to them. The air getting pulled in would be warmer since the velocity of the air would be reduced due to the "pulling" effect. If it is "pushing" the air the velocity would be increased due to the forward (hopefully!) motion of the car. This would allow MORE air to go over the brakes. Does that make sense? I'm not saying I'm right but this is my theory.
          I was worried about creating "lift" when you take-in air. Maybe it is negligible, and compared to the normal aerodynamics it makes no difference.
          Rijk

Comment

That is indeed a keen observation. Many cheap wheel companies have directional wheel designs, except they make them all the same! This means on one side of the car the design is going backward! This has always drove me nuts. Nice to see that Spyker has gone through the trouble and expense to produce left and right side wheels. Tire rotation, however, now entails dismounting the tires.

As for the cooling effect, I've seen a handful of race cars over the years with brake cooling vents built onto the outside of the wheel. The IMSA Audi's from the mid-80's come to mind. I would think that the ideal setup would be a duct bringing cool air in to the inner part of the brake, with the wheel designed to draw the air out. Virtually all brake ducting you come across blows from the inside, by necessity of design (except for the cases as noted above). But the shape of the spokes probably isn't as important as how open the wheel is. In my experience the more open the wheel, the cooler the brakes run. For serious track day use ducts are a must, and forget dust and splash shields.

Comment

This is how the cover of a carmagazine should look like...
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter View Post
                This is how the cover of a carmagazine should look like...
                I saw that. Looks great.

I had to be for one evening in Holland, and I just picked it up on my way out
                Rijk

Comment

Employing my almost supernatural paint-skills, I created this impression of what the Aileron convertible will look like. In my ever so humble opinion it looks a bit too long without a roof, but I think that will be an easy fix by having some SLR-like bulges pop up behind the headrests.

Perhaps someone with Photoshop can do a better job?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Reddingius View Post
                    Employing my almost supernatural paint-skills, I created this impression of what the Aileron convertible will look like. In my ever so humble opinion it looks a bit too long without a roof, but I think that will be an easy fix by having some SLR-like bulges pop up behind the headrests.

Perhaps someone with Photoshop can do a better job?
                    Pterps????

Comment

+1 for Pterps

Maybe you could also make an impression like this one:lolwith this angle)
                      Attached Files
                      The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do

Comment

Does the aileron have an automatic headlamp cleaning system? I think so, ( I believe it is obliged if you have XENON-lights)

Click image for larger version

Name:	87.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	58421
                        Last edited by IVR007; 07-04-2009, 19:37.
                        The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do

Comment

Originally posted by Spyker 007 View Post
                          Pterps????
                          I have never tried it before, I will think about it....
                          Digi-Shape Auto Fotografie
                          Digi-Shape Auto Posters

Comment

Is everything going on track with the deliveries of the aileron? That was for this month, i believe. I was just wondering if there were already ailerons delivered to customers or dealers.
                            Louis

Comment

Customer production starts in June (or was it July?). At the moment they are only builing testcars and demo's for the US and the factory if I'm correct.

Comment

Originally posted by AX lover View Post
                                Customer production starts in June (or was it July?). At the moment they are only builing testcars and demo's for the US and the factory if I'm correct.
                                Let's make that the end of July, spyker is always a little too optimistic with dates...
                                Louis

Comment

Working...
                                X