No announcement yet.

Deciding between 2 cars for the wife...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deciding between 2 cars for the wife...

K, so you guys know my lovely 086 arrives this coming Wed Wife is also due for something new and trying to decide between an 09 classic Mercedes G-Class and a Mercedes 09 AMG ML63.

Our needs are to have a trunk big enough to hold my 125lb dog, good in the snow and be a smooth ride for 4 hr weekend trips to Vermont.

I lean toward the G-Class in that I love the look of the thing, but I'm being told the pitch and sway on turns and the like are not great and it might not be the best car for long hauls. Wife falls in love with anything AMG, so she's hellbent on the ML63, but my concern is that with so much torque, how will it do in the snow.

On my end I need a daily driver and considering a used "beater" Audi A4 or the Audi Avant...crazy month for car buying!

Any thoughts from my Spyker friends?

p.s. I'm amazed at how much of a rebate they're giving on the 09 MB's to make way for the 10's

Originally posted by Swisstrader View Post
    Wife falls in love with anything AMG, so she's hellbent on the ML63, but my concern is that with so much torque, how will it do in the snow.
    If she loves the AMG, give her the AMG

With winter tyres on the torque shouldn't be a huge problem. Just be more gentle with the throtlle

On my end I need a daily driver and considering a used "beater" Audi A4 or the Audi Avant...
    I love Audis. The A4 is not a very big car though, for American standards.

Do you have kids that need to sit in the back? If they are teenager(s), take he/she/them to the dealer to see if the fit.

Lovely cars though..

Comment

If money isn't a problem, I'd take a ML63 AMG .

Audi A4 is nice. But if it's possible, you might take a look at an A4 s-line, a S4, or even a RS4 . They just have more power And the RS4 looks a little bit better.

But the A4 is also very nice
      Olav

Instagram
      https://www.instagram.com/3stfotografie/?hl=nl

Comment

Thanks guys...decision is between the G-Class and the AMG ML63.

Comment

...hellbent on the ML63, but my concern is that with so much torque, how will it do in the snow.
          Ah, don't worry. You may have to pitch it to get it started, but then that thing will pull some wicked donuts...:lol:

Comment

In my opinion, the G is cooler, the ML is a bit more female; but since it's for your wife that may be a pro..
            Last edited by IVR007; 17-10-2009, 16:25.
            The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do

Comment

Originally posted by Mattjs33 View Post
              Ah, don't worry. You may have to pitch it to get it started, but then that thing will pull some wicked donuts...:lol:
              You mean like this

YouTube - Merc ML63 AMG

Comment

Ha ha! Yeah, that's it!

Comment

The G-class's driving dynamics are rigid, and the ML is nice, though the handling/power equation is the usual AMG imbalance of too much power and not enough handling refinement. Of course, as a 3 time Cayenne owner, I am biased. And saw the Panamera in the flesh for the first time today. That will hold a dog, and is quite the piece of kit. Additionally, I thought I liked the A4 recently, until I drove a Subie Impreza WRX for the same money. Tons more fun, though no cachet unless you're a street racer.

Comment

I would choose the G-Class. The only 'problem' with that car is that the design is 30 years old. Ofcourse it has been refined in the last couple of years but when you drive it you will always notice it.

But my choice would be the G55 AMG.

+ YouTube Video
                    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Comment

Originally posted by AX lover View Post
                      + YouTube Video
                      ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
                      This is nuts!

I'm still not sure of how I feel about the Panamera's rear end, but it sure has a sharp interior.

Comment

Decided on the ML63 AMG...I could have gone either way on this one but a) this is truly an SUV that drives like a sports car...it's a rocketship at over 500HP and b) the wife peaked over my shoulder and saw the grifting video on the G-Wagon!

I'm happy.

Comment

I'm happy.
                          That's what counts

Comment

Swisstrader,
                            I apologize for the insensitivity of this Forum. You are new here and Many of these
                            Guys are just too Family Orientated Of course the Answer is Clear. Yes take the two cars, you can always get another wife if you really want one. 2 cars for the wife send pictures so we can all decide if it is worth it

Comment

Originally posted by panoz1 View Post
                              Swisstrader,
                              I apologize for the insensitivity of this Forum. You are new here and Many of these
                              Guys are just too Family Orientated Of course the Answer is Clear. Yes take the two cars, you can always get another wife if you really want one. 2 cars for the wife send pictures so we can all decide if it is worth it

Comment

Working...
                              X