No announcement yet.

My toys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great video, I just posted it on their forum. 2 of the 3 tour managers going on this one have done it before so I guess they'll be aware of the tourist situation. On our UK runs we often get up at the crack of dawn so we can have the roads all to ourselves and our hotel for the night before is very close by. So, yes, i suspect this will be an early one, infact we may have a play the evening before also.

One of the best things about travelling in a group is that we all have 2 way radios in the cars so one of the tour managers goes first and can warn of any hazards before the rest of the group reach them. He can also advise whether the road is clear ahead for overtaking should we get stuck behind something slow moving.

The company who ran this tour in 2007 no longer exist however the long haired guy driving the TVR in this clip is one of the tour managers running the 2010 Viking tour for Petrolhead Nirvana.
    YouTube - FB5K Viking Tour - The Impossible Dream

The 3 support cars driven by the tour managers will be Ferrari F360, BMW E46 M3 convertible and Audi S4 Avant(It's quick and big enough to carry excess luggage). I'll be swapping between the F360 and M3 as I'll be filming the tour this year

Comment

Loved the tongue in cheek video...love it when people inject a little humour into all this talk of cars

Comment

Originally posted by fiona View Post
        One of the best things about travelling in a group is ....
        fiona,
        don't get me wrong: I have nothing against groups. It is just that I need to decide myself where to go, when to stop etc because I hate to get soaked and have no vision in rain or fog. Two things which you may meet on your trip I am quite sure...

I suggested the Spyker should have wipers on the inside of the front window (aquarium style magnetic wipers?), and my #045 actually has drainage holes in the legroom .

Comment

Originally posted by fiona View Post
          plans for the future may include the pan-american highway...
          Yes! The Pan-American Highway! Prudhoe Bay to Tierra Del Fuego! I've always dreamed of it. Go for it!

Comment

Originally posted by amzamz View Post
            fiona,
            don't get me wrong: I have nothing against groups. It is just that I need to decide myself where to go, when to stop etc because I hate to get soaked and have no vision in rain or fog. Two things which you may meet on your trip I am quite sure...

I suggested the Spyker should have wipers on the inside of the front window (aquarium style magnetic wipers?), and my #045 actually has drainage holes in the legroom .
            I know where you're coming from but I quite enjoy both. The freedom of travelling solo, going where you want, stopping when you want etc is great and sometimes group dynamics can be a pain but other times they can be a lot of fun, as can having other cars to play with on the road.

Norway is going to be busy for me because I'm filming, I'll have to race ahead, get the shot of the cars coming by then jump back in a car and catch up. Mind you I think they will be up and down the Trollstigen a few times so I can get the panoramic shot from the top of the cars snaking their way down then wait for them to come back up!

Comment

Originally posted by Mattjs33 View Post
              Yes! The Pan-American Highway! Prudhoe Bay to Tierra Del Fuego! I've always dreamed of it. Go for it!
              i would love to but I don't want to rush it. I managed to get 3 and a half months off for my drive to Australia and that was pushing it, I would have liked more time to stop in some of the places I visited. I had to save up 2 years annual leave to do it and i really don't think it would be enough time to do the Pan-american properly. One of my friends did it on a motorbike and her book is a great read Lois on the Loose

Ideally I need someone to commision a documentary so I can do it as a working holiday
              The same with Africa, because of the bad roads and many.many border crossings I think I would need at least 5 months to do the whole length of the continent without rushing.

Comment

@Fiona: Many kudos for the lovely photos and "road trips" . Thanx for adding the comment "Nissan Micra, someone else's", otherwise I would be whining along about your cars . I love the jerrycans on the roof of the Beetle. They look like suitcases (from distance). I truelly love the "vintage" style of the photos! Looks like they were taken ages ago and it adds a lot to the imagination when watching the photos.

@Amzamz: Many kudos for the driving open policy! Is the target 400.000 km's open only for the Spyker or for all cars you drive? By the way: Holy Guacemole!!!! for the fantasti scenery with the waterfall in the background (especially after overtaking the bus at 3m21s).
                Last edited by Mel Bonkers; 30-04-2010, 08:44.
                ______

Mel

Comment

Cheers
                  Though I should confess, the roofrack on the orange Beetle didn't last the distance. We hit a bump in the Sahara desert, took off and wehn we landed the roofrack carried on without us. Oooops

That's why I had something a little more heavy duty made up this time with the Jerry cans incorporated into the side nudge bars which kept them out of the direct sun light and upright. It was much easier for fill ups than lifting them on and off the roof too. The ladder up the side was so I could get the spare off the roof. It's actually bolted on to studs up there for safety and I couldn't reach to undo it without the ladder!

Comment

Working...
                  X