Spyker design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spyker design

A collection of amazing design details that make the Spyker so incredible.

One of the rarest details is the periscope mirror. There are only a handful of these in the world.
    Attached Files
    Rijk

Thanks for the detailed shot of the mirror. I had not actually seen one before.

Besides being super cool, what was the point of this?

Which one is more "unobtanium" - the periscope mirror or the propellor steering wheel?

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Eggo View Post
      Thanks for the detailed shot of the mirror. I had not actually seen one before.

Besides being super cool, what was the point of this?

Which one is more "unobtanium" - the periscope mirror or the propellor steering wheel?
      If you extend the periscope mirror it will allow you to look over the folded soft top.

The propeller steering wheel is a safety issue, so Spyker will not get involved. The periscope mirror has reportedly cracked some (a) windshield(s), so Spyker stopped making them. I've mine for seven years, and never had a problem. I think it is the same for Toby.
      Attached Files
      Rijk

Comment

Found some more pictures...
        Attached Files
        Rijk

Comment

And more...
          Attached Files
          Rijk

Comment

I really like the periscope mirror. The design and attention for detail is sublime. Plus it really works to look over a folded top.

Comment

Originally posted by F Spider View Post
              If you extend the periscope mirror it will allow you to look over the folded soft top.

The propeller steering wheel is a safety issue, so Spyker will not get involved. The periscope mirror has reportedly cracked some (a) windshield(s), so Spyker stopped making them. I've mine for seven years, and never had a problem. I think it is the same for Toby.
              Re: propeller steering wheel. Safety-schmaftey. As Clarkson said in the TG review, being impaled on the wheel in an accident "What a way to go!"

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Eggo View Post
                Re: propeller steering wheel. Safety-schmaftey. As Clarkson said in the TG review, being impaled on the wheel in an accident "What a way to go!"
                Clarkson didn't even wear the four point seat belts correctly....
                Rijk

Comment

The secret of the wheels is on the inside. Solid spokes are magnesium wheels and the spokes with the indentation are aluminum wheels.
                  Attached Files
                  Rijk

Comment

The alloys are directional if you look at the propeller design on both wheels.

Funny detail: If you look at both pictures one should be for the left side of the Spyker and the other one for the right side. Both are marked though. Left picture reads RF (Right Front) and right picture reads RR (Right Rear)

Comment

The early (magnesium) wheels were directional. This means that all four wheels are different. In the later set up, there is only a (width) difference between the front wheels and the back wheels.

However, there have been discussions on how the directional wheels need to be mounted. I'm of the opinion that the leading edge needs to go forward, but many cars had them mounted with the trailing edge forward.
                      Attached Files
                      Rijk

Comment

Even though the wheels are no more directional, the central lugnuts still are. The do-undo caps are different between the left and right side of the car. Following a racecar safety set up, where the lugnuts are tightening during forward motion.
                        Attached Files
                        Rijk

Comment

And, most impprtantly, never take your lugnuts off while the do-undo caps are still in place (like me)
                          Attached Files
                          Rijk

Comment

First take the wheelcap off, and then bring out the big torque wrench (or breaker bar). 408LB/FT of torque to tighten the nut, a multiple of that to loosen it. Always use anti-seize, or you will never get the nut off again....
                            Attached Files
                            Rijk

Comment

Make sure you only use the metal airvalve, and not the ones with the rubber stam and the metal cap..
                              Attached Files
                              Rijk

Comment

Working...
                              X