No announcement yet.

Questions for C8 owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I put my friends Ingvar and Bas in the Spyker and the Ferrari, and we went for a drive through the Catskills Mountains. Ingvar was so taken with the pure driving character of the Spyker that he bought #108.
    Attached Files
    Rijk

Comment

Purity...that's what I want

Dan, thanks for your help. I understand what you're saying; that this isn't a car that will put up record-breaking numbers in its price range.

Pre-owned makes more sense for me, but I just NEED to have an ostentatious color like the yellow one I saw for sale If there are any special colors like that in the pre-owned market when I'm ready, I'll consider it.

But right now I can't wait to make it up to Rijk's place and check out his beautiful cars!

Comment

That is a great start! Let's chat when you are ready to buy and I'll let you know what is out there... Rijk will show you how it is meant to be driven as well. Bring your helmet...

Comment

Mike,

You have a PM.
          Rijk

Comment

Rijk,

Sorry for getting back to you late. I sent you a PM either yesterday or the day before in reply

Comment

PM sent.
              Rijk

Comment

It's been a wonderful day....

I cannot thank Rijk enough for being so generous and letting me enjoy his beautiful Spyker. It was great to meet his wonderful family who cared for my Lotus while it rained

Almost all of my questions about the Spyker C8 have been answered. It is a WONDERFUL car. It takes some getting used to; the shifting takes some muscle, the brakes definitely need getting used to but are not so bad after a while, and the off/on method takes getting used to.

How does it drive? Awesome!!! It was definitely an adrenaline rush and certainly provided race-car feel and RACE-CAR SOUND! I was amazed at how loud it was! I couldn't help but dip into the throttle pointlessly just to hear the engine bark its approval.....

Is the fastest car? No. But it's not slow. Not at all. And that's good enough for me. I'm not racing anyone and I don't need to prove anything to anyone. All I care about is that it has enough kick to pass people on those one-lane roads into oncoming traffic (where permitted...).

The steering feel is stupendous. I could buy the car and keep it for ever.

This is my next car...after I buy my house !!

So I am a happy man today.

I appreciate everyone's support here.

Comment

Here goes Mike
                  Attached Files
                  Rijk

Comment

Isn't your Ferrari never complaining about a lack of interest? Or isn't she jealous about all the attention the Spyker get's

Comment

Rijk, if you look at the pic of the Ferrari at the car show, you can see me in the back getting another cheeseburger....LOL!

Comment

Good to see and hear (I also spoke Rijk on the phone) you had such a good time. Now forget the house and go for a Spyker
                        Last edited by F Spider; 10-06-2008, 12:46.

Comment

Originally posted by SpykerOwner View Post
                          Good to sea and hear (I also spoke Rijk on the phone) you had such a good time. Now forget the house and go for a Spyker

That's the emotional decision...but I must exercise discipline

Comment

Hi folks, I'm a prospective owner and this forum doesn't seem like it has a lot of visitors so I'm hoping someone will be kind enough to respond to me offline. I am currently in the process of negotiating on a C8 Spider. I have done a bit of research but haven't driven a car yet. The local dealer stopped carrying Spyker a year ago and has none in stock so I have no way to do a local test drive. I live in the San Jose, CA area so if anyone knows of one around here that I could look at, that would be awesome.

As for "what I'm getting into", I think it mostly meets my criteria. I already have a Lotus for the track and enjoy a fast sedan for the street (Audi RS4). I sort of look at the Spyker as a combination of the two. I've driven the RS4 on the track but its really more of a fast street car. The Lotus is an awesome go-kart and the most fun car to drive but it is a bit "harsh". I have read reviews about the Spyker being loud and a hard suspension so I'm curious how it compares to the Elise/Exige. I drove an Exige from the Bay Area to/from the recent Lotus Owner's Gathering in Vegas and it really wasn't too bad. I know people like to listen to the engine on a car like the Spyker but one question I have is what it is like driving the car on a long trip. I do like my tunes and that is something I notice is missing (no radio).

Also, I read that the brakes are not power brakes - I haven't driven a manual brake car since I learned how to drive (oh, about 30 years ago). The Elise/Exige has non-power steering but power brakes. As I'm not looking to take the Spyker on a track (well maybe), I would like to know how much of a workout the brakes are around town.

Some people say they would never take their Lotus to/from work but I do it quite frequently. I view it as a car to be used - so why not? There is a guy at my work who drives his Lambo Gallardo in quite frequently. I figure if I get the Spyker, I'd want to do that on occasion at least.

Anyway, if you can respond here, great. If you can email me for a more thorough discussion, even better. (email: slim "at" acm "dot" org).

Thanks,

Scott

Comment

Scott,

You are the best description of a Spyker owner.

The brakes are actually great. Look for the new rather than old pads and you are set. The stopping distances rival a Ferrari 360. You do have to step on it, but they work. Also the brakes do have ABS (not easily provoked).

Check for the Sport switch on the dash. If so, the car is equipped with whisper mode. However, I don't know anybody that uses it. Some owners have awesome audio fitted, but I have never missed it. The sould of a Spyker is just so good

Comfort is right in between the Lotus and the RS4.

If you happen to be in th NY area, you can drive my car. Just let me know.
                              Rijk

Comment

What Rijik said. I'm also a big car stereo guy...love my tunes, but with the sound of the Spyker, no need for me. It is also so beautifully loud that the only way you will hear the radio is in whisper mode, which is for wimps or with headphones which I'm not a big fan of. I'm also a bit of a purist, so wouldnt want to tear up the dash to accommodate Nav or a radio, although I've seen Spyker owners who've done it and it looks just fine.

The brakes do take some getting used to, as does the non-power steering or lack of computer controls, but after a week or two, no issues.

One thing I will say...most fun I've ever had behind the wheel of ANY car and most comments per mile by ppl on the street

Comment

Working...
                                X