Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you tried an Exige or an Eleven???

Comment

That car in green, the old F1 car. Is also tested by Jeremy Clarkson in Top Gear I mean. I thought the sound really great, and you can drive him on the road. That's great. But the most beautiful F1 cars are from Lotus.

Comment

Originally posted by JVProduction View Post
        But the most beautiful F1 cars are from Lotus.
        Have to agree with you there

Comment

Arthur Wolstenholme could not be bothered when I wanted to get this car........... Now that he wants to sell the only one in existence, he can find me. Go figure

Coys at Lords

Monday 3rd March 2008

Lot 322 2005 Vanwall GPR V12 - Ex-Top Gear

Registration no: VHE 40
          Chassis no: SA9VWCV16P1A50001
          Estimate: £40,000-50,000

Lot 322

Industrialist Tony Vandervell wanted to see British racing cars beating the dominating Italians and in 1949 he was one of the original backers of British Racing Motors. He soon concluded that BRM was never going to achieve anything because of its committee mentality and decided to run his own cars. He bought a series of Ferraris and renamed them Thinwall Specials, after his Thinwall bearings company. The first Vanwalls (the name came from putting Vandervell and Thinwall together) were known as Vanwall Specials and were built for the new Formula One regulations of 1954. At the end of the following year one of Vandervell's team in Acton, West London, Derek Wootton, suggested that Vandervell approach a young designer called Colin Chapman to try to improve the cars. Chapman recommended that they be substantially rebuilt and re-bodied and suggested that Vandervell use a young aerodynamicist called Frank Costin. Former Jaguar engine designer Harry Weslake was called in to work on the engines.

The resulting cars were raced for the first time at the International Trophy by Stirling Moss (then a contracted Maserati driver) and Harry Schell with Moss winning the race. Thereafter Maurice Trintignant took over the drive. The cars looked promising but failed to deliver any other major results that year. In the autumn they were modified and Stirling Moss did a comparison test between the Vanwall, Connaught and BRM and decided to drive for Vanwall in 1957. It was in 1958 that the Vanwall team won six of the nine rounds of the World Championship it contested, with Moss and Brooks taking three apiece and the team winning the first ever-held World Constructors Championship. At the end of the year, however, Vandervell announced that the team would not be continuing due to his ill-health.

It was in August 2003 that Arthur Wolstenholme discussed with the Dana Corporation of USA and Vandervell Bearings the rights to the Vanwall name and the possibility of bringing it back for an exciting new range of high performance cars for both road and track. An agreement was reached in November the same year for Arthur Wolstenholme to lease the world exclusive rights under licence of the famous and highly regarded historic Vanwall name. Vanwall Cars was duly formed and development started on new designs to carry the revered moniker back into high performance cars and motor sport. The first result of this is powered by a Cosworth developed, 6.0 litre V12 Jaguar engine and, weighing in at less than a ton, the performance is nothing less than breathtaking, with a top speed in excess of 180mph and an equally staggering acceleration rate.

Probably in the first time in the history of Vanwall cars, this highly competent package can not only be enjoyed on circuits but also on the road, as it is fully road-registered and road legal. The bodywork is made of alloy panels, the huge power of 370bhp is transmitted via a four speed manual gearbox with overdrive to the rear axle via a Powerlok limited slip differential. Adequate braking is provided by a dual circuit fully independent system, while the suspension is fully independent at the front and rear with front wishbones and coil-over-shock absorbers. Three alloy fuel tanks with foam safety fillings provide the petrol safely. One could not wish for a more subtle integration of the necessary requirements to make this car road legal: the cycle wing mudguards resemble the profile of the tyres and are hardly visible from a distance, whereas the lights and indicators are again so unobtrusive that they are difficult to spot whilst at the same time providing safe light for night time driving.

The successful launch of the new Vanwall GPR (Grand Prix Racer) V12 caused a sensation at the Historic Motorsports Show in 2004 and the car wowed the crowds with its tantalising looks, elegant lines, the impressive V12 engine and those unique mudguards and lights. Subsequently, this car, to date the only one built, appeared in a variety of both newspaper articles and television features, most notably on the BBC Top Gear's British Racing Green programme where the car can be seen being enjoyed to the full by a truly smitten Richard Hammond.

This Vanwall GPR V12 is a unique racing car and to date it is the only one in the world. Together with the historic background and sporting the famous name it is a driver's car that one can enjoy on the public roads. Less than eight of the original cars are believed to remain from the early days of Vanwall in the 1950s. Needless to say, these are unaffordable now if they come up for sale at all. An unrepeatable opportunity.
          Rijk

Comment

Oops, the inserted photo did not paste:
            Attached Files
            Rijk

Comment

Originally posted by F Spider View Post
              Arthur Wolstenholme could not be bothered when I wanted to get this car........... Now that he wants to sell the only one in existence, he can find me. Go figure

Last year I was really surprised he lacked any selling skills. We visited the factory with the message: sell me a Vanwall, I want one (in bold AND capital letters)!

F Spider: Make me an offer
              Arthur: I have to make some calculations
              F Spider: No problem, send me an email with the offer
              Arthur: *writing down all F Spider's wishes*

Never heard anything since (and yes, Arthur did have the correct email address).

Comment

Well...maybe they wanted to sell you a production model and not the prototype; and presumably as they're not going into production they now want to flog the prototype???

But its no more than a track-day car surely?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Slegg View Post
                  But its no more than a track-day car surely?
                  Cruising around the circuit made it overheat in the English weather. No way, you can push this car to the limit on a trackday

Comment

Looks like Arthur has 'completed' his new project:

Welcome to Lightning Car Company - The UK's Premier Electric Sports Car

Comment

Originally posted by SpykerOwner View Post
                      Last year I was really surprised he lacked any selling skills. We visited the factory with the message: sell me a Vanwall, I want one (in bold AND capital letters)!

F Spider: Make me an offer
                      Arthur: I have to make some calculations
                      F Spider: No problem, send me an email with the offer
                      Arthur: *writing down all F Spider's wishes*

Never heard anything since (and yes, Arthur did have the correct email address).
                      I wanted to follow up with Arthur, to see where the quote was, but Hans and Tom convinced me not to do that and wait until -and if- Arthur would react. If he would do nothing without prodding, that would be an indication of how the whole process would go, and it would become a nightmare.
                      Rijk

Comment

Also, he emailed me about the auction just two days before the event. Not giving the only person that was willing to buy his car a lot of notice
                        Rijk

Comment

Originally posted by SpykerOwner View Post
                          Looks like Arthur has 'completed' his new project:

Welcome to Lightning Car Company - The UK's Premier Electric Sports Car
                          Hmmm....something else that won't see the light of day

Comment

Anybody know the result of the auction?
                            Rijk

Comment

Working...
                            X