US Engine for the SSUV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SpykerX3 View Post
    I still don't know what the hell Spyker is thinking on this SUV thing...
    Porsche Cayenne

Comment

Yeah, the Cayenne Turbo S... Ok, so let's talk about that. Has anyone ever looked at what at pimped out Cayenne costs? At the top end you are taking $150k. They can't get sticker here in AZ for them. Then, if you want to talk USED, they are around $100k. What does that tell you? Porsche's costs to produce them are insignificant compared to other automakers because they already have the technology to make it go--they don't need to develop anything nor do they need to train their techs on how to service them. It is basic Porsche stuff.

Now, Spyker is talking about a totally new vehicle. This means new engine (unless i'm missing something and they intend to use the Audi again) with new tranny, with new software, with new ..... You get my drift? Yes, the profit per until will be higher but the development costs are not to be overlooked. Please see the posting about the Bugatti... Spyker is not Volkswagen so they don't really have the luxury of taking a chance. I would bet dollars to donuts that I know more about how the Spyker C8 operates (ie repairs) than a standard tech--excluding the techs here in Phoenix. This is not a hack on the other techs but just making a point that even though our cars seem simple they are not easy to diagnose and repair. The Cayenne is on a proven platform, with a history that gives drivers confidence. There was a time when I was scared to drive my Spyker further than 100 miles from my house. Luckily those days or long gone. As much as I would love to see this SUV be produced, I would not like to see it made if it is the death of Spyker. Maybe co-develop it with someone?? Many other manufacturers have tried this before and for various reasons they bailed out...

Dan

Comment

I think I understand what they want with the Spyker SSUV. Currently the Cayenne Turbo is the top end of the SUV market and here in New York City you see them a dime a dozen. There is a market for a SuperSUV, especially at the $275K level, that they are aiming for.

Different than the Cayenne, the SSUV will have no off-road capabilities, and again it will be a light-weight car. 2200LB less than a Cayenne IIRC. With 500 or 600+HP and the weight of an M3, it should go like stink.
        Rijk

Comment

I agree with Rijk, I am sure there is a market for this car. Think of Russia for example where people like these kind of cars and how about China an Dubai. I am sure it won't be a problem to sell these cars there. It's unique, exclusive and something diffrent! I bet a Cayenne looks like a VW Golf compared with the Spyker.
          Digi-Shape Auto Fotografie
          Digi-Shape Auto Posters

Comment

The D12 is a very exclusive car for people who don't want a Cayenne.. Last info i have is that there are 200 orders already.
            http://www.autogespot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Boink View Post
              The D12 is a very exclusive car for people who don't want a Cayenne.. Last info i have is that there are 200 orders already.
              That's an impressive order book for a car that isn't in production

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Slegg View Post
                On the AutoRai 2007 ( In March ) I spoke to a salesmen on the stand of Spyker and there were already ordered 170! Mostly Arabic customers.
                http://www.autogespot.com

Comment

But, just like being on the so-called Ferrari waiting list, you are only really on the list if they have taken your deposit. Signing up as an interested party might not be enough.
                  Rijk

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Slegg View Post
                    If you know there are 200 orders already that is awesome. I want this to succeed but without all the creature comforts of something like a Cayenne (nav, electronic assist, backup sensors, and other technology) the expected buyer will quickly seek options elsewhere. I want to see this succeed as much as the next guy but the execution must not sacrifice. The fact that the C8 doesn't come with a radio turned off more than one potential buyer. For $275k+, it better have the top of the line leather, electronics, stereo, and other widgets.

Comment

SpykerX3, could you show us how you mounted your radio in your car?
                      Digi-Shape Auto Fotografie
                      Digi-Shape Auto Posters

Comment

I completly agree with SpykerX3. There is a big difference between a "sportscar" and a "Luxury SUV".

Most buyers of a sportscar don't mind if there are no electronic systems like traction control, ABS, servo brakes etc etc.
                        Or luxury items like A/C, radio, sat nav, PDC etc etc

So a sportscar is cheaper to build and develop than a luxury car that has to have all those things. And the ride should be good and the build quality should also be ten times better because it will be a car that can be used every day. Most Spyker C8 owners will only drive their car for 5000 miles a year but a D12 will be used much more (I think).

And the weird thing is that the price of the SSUV will be approximately the same of a C8/C12. How is that possible? A D12 has much more luxury items and will be more expensive to build, in my opinion.

Why do you think there are so many small sportscar builders and no small SUV builders. Because it is so much harder to develop a good SUV.

Comment

IIRC, the second SSUV had a navigation screen in the center console. That would mean that a radio and CD player are very easy to integrate,
                          Rijk

Comment

Originally posted by pterps View Post
                            SpykerX3, could you show us how you mounted your radio in your car?
                            I will create a new post with these pics later on this week. I need to find them and I think they are on a different computer. I will caution you to get the exectronics layout from your spyker guy (or PM me and I'll see if I can get them for you). This is NOT an easy thing to do. Please keep in mind that two Spyker guys flew in from Holland to install mine... along with other repairs. It was done to 088 so i no longer have the car but I know I took pics.

Dan

Comment

Back to the engine discussion. I think that the uncertain future of Chrysler and the old-fashioned cast iron block makes it less of a candidate. It looks more and more that the new sophisticated 620 HP Corvette engine with the compressor would be the best choice.
                              Rijk

Comment

I wonder what the perception is in the US on sportscars with engines from different engine suppliers. And then I'm thinking about what would give the car more appeal.

I know that for the actual car brand, european (sports) cars have a somewhat "cool-status". If you drive an Audi or Jaguar, as far as I know, that is considered cool.

So with the possibility that the Spyker might get a US engine, will that make the car more appealing to the US market then it would with an Audi engine?

Comment

Working...
                                X