No announcement yet.

Spyker cars relocates its vehicle assembly lines to the UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If this was a move around labor arbitrage, meaning find the lowest cost location, then why would Spyker not consider much cheaper build locations ala Prague or Krakow? I would think the cost difference between UK labor rates and Dutch would not be all that shocking and same for tax and real estate expenses.

I recognize many of the parts are from the UK, but still cheaper to ship and build in a lower cost country...no?

Comment

Originally posted by SpykerOwner View Post
      According to the press release only Engineering, Corporate staff functions, Sales, After-Sales, Marketing and “Spyker Squadron” will remain in Zeewolde. So I assume the SWBs and specials will also be produced in Coventry.
      My interpretation is that nothing will change on the Edisonweg.
      The other (2nd) location will be relocated to the UK.

Originally posted by Swisstrader View Post
      If this was a move around labor arbitrage, meaning find the lowest cost location, then why would Spyker not consider much cheaper build locations ala Prague or Krakow? I would think the cost difference between UK labor rates and Dutch would not be all that shocking and same for tax and real estate expenses.

I recognize many of the parts are from the UK, but still cheaper to ship and build in a lower cost country...no?
      I guess extra transport would not outweigh the difference on labourcost. Hearing Victor Muller on tv, a lot of labour hours were lost disassembling the body/chassis before (re)assembling the car to final product.
      A Ferrari is from Italy, an Aston from England and a Spyker from Holland. I guess assembing in the UK is the least bad situation........
      Would you buy a Spyker, or Ferrari or Aston for that matter, if build/assembled in China???
      Last edited by Spyker 007; 20-11-2009, 20:05.

Comment

Spyker isn't going to see the end of 2010, trust me! Well at least you'll all have a collectors item left.

Comment

Originally posted by binkje View Post
          Spyker isn't going to see the end of 2010, trust me!
          Can you elaborate on that?

Please explain.......

Comment

Gentlemen, our cars all just became more valuable.

Go give your authentic Dutch Spyker a hug.

Justice
            With Tenacity, No Roof Is Impossible

Comment

I know I do not have to get into the business side of why this happened... Most owners are financially educated enough to know why certain business decisions have to be made, it's not personal it's business, it is also not necessarily permanent.

Sony laid off 2,000+ employees yesterday, other manufacturers have let countless factories go, as well as employees...

Keep up the passion in the brand, we will all look back at this as a stepping stone...

having seen this brand through good times and bad, I assure you it is not the end of Spyker...
              Vinny

- former SPYKER Employee, but a fan for life....

Comment

The way I see it, VW will soon acquire Spyker, as it has most of the British brands (which Spyker now seems to be). But, that's appropriate, as Spyker is already running VW Group engines. Spyker, the 13th VW brand.

Comment

If Spyker have to be taken over by someone, then I'll hope it will be Audi.
                  Because Spyker is using the engines of Audi already...
                  But let's hope it won't be necessary...
                  Olav

Instagram
                  https://www.instagram.com/3stfotografie/?hl=nl

Comment

Audi or VW, it´s the same in the VAG group
                    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do

Comment

I just came up with a great advantage: Because of the relocation, Spyker could get some more attention in Top Gear..
                      The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do

Comment

Originally posted by Spyker 007 View Post
                        My interpretation is that nothing will change on the Edisonweg.
                        The other (2nd) location will be relocated to the UK.
                        I think Jeffrey is right. For now anyways.
                        Rijk

Comment

For me there is no question about Spyker remaining Dutch. Where the assembly takes place does not determine its Nationality.

The heart of the company remains Holland. The concept, design and strategy determine what Spyker is.
                          Rijk

Comment

Originally posted by ReducedSpeedAhead View Post
                            I know I do not have to get into the business side of why this happened... Most owners are financially educated enough to know why certain business decisions have to be made, it's not personal it's business, it is also not necessarily permanent.

Sony laid off 2,000+ employees yesterday, other manufacturers have let countless factories go, as well as employees...

Keep up the passion in the brand, we will all look back at this as a stepping stone...

having seen this brand through good times and bad, I assure you it is not the end of Spyker...
                            Well stated

Comment

Spyker verrast medewerkers met productieverhuizing - Autonieuws - Telegraaf.nl [24 uur actueel, ook mobiel] [Autotelegraaf]

So, when I understand this correctly, only the aileron will be produced in the UK, and the production of the SWB will remain in Zeewolde
                              Olav

Instagram
                              https://www.instagram.com/3stfotografie/?hl=nl

Comment

Originally posted by ReducedSpeedAhead View Post

Exactly, and i don't even think you have to be financially educated to see that Spyker has lost 80 million EURO before taxes since it started almost 9 years ago and that in that period it has sold 200 cars. Equivalent to a loss of 400k EURO per car. Moving production to CPP isn't going to solve that. The cars are too expensive to build, are being sold to cheap, and the overhead for a small company like this is completely out of this world. This is a money burning machine that is never going to be profitable in any way. Muller might have found an obscure bank that was willing to fund his expensive hobby but im pretty sure even they have a limit. Although i realize nobody here will listen anyway, its the Spyker good news forum.

Comment

Working...
                                X