Timing Belt or Chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing Belt or Chain

Does anyone know at which VIN did the engine change to being the later one with chain driven cams? And what are the other differences between the engines?

Originally posted by mrobin33 View Post
    Does anyone know at which VIN did the engine change to being the later one with chain driven cams? And what are the other differences between the engines?
    Hi Matthew,

Below are the specs from Wikipedia on the 4.2L V8 40 valve engine with the roller chain-driven double overhead camshafts. The engine codes are shown for each type.

I do not know at which VIN the engines changed from belt to chain driven, but #228 has a BHF engine code and, as indicated below, is chain driven.

4.2 V8 40v
    identification
    parts code prefix: 079
    engine displacement & engine configuration
    4,163 cubic centimetres (254.0 cu in) 90° V8 engine; 90 millimetres (3.54 in) cylinder spacing; bore x stroke: 84.5 by 92.8 millimetres (3.33 in × 3.65 in), stroke ratio: 0.91:1 - undersquare/long-stroke, 520.4 cc per cylinder
    cylinder block & crankcase
    homogeneous monobloc low-pressure gravity die casting hypereutectic 'Alusil' aluminium-silicon alloy (AlSi17Cu4Mg) with a closed-deck design, mechanically stripped hard silicon crystal integral liners, honed under simulated mechanical stress; five main bearings; die-forged steel crankshaft
    cylinder heads & valvetrain
    cast aluminium alloy, five valves per cylinder, 40 valves total; lightweight low-friction roller cam followers with automatic hydraulic valve clearance compensation, roller chain-driven double overhead camshafts
    aspiration
    synthetic material two-stage variable intake manifold
    fuel system & engine management
    two linked common rail fuel distributor rails, multi-point electronic sequential indirect fuel injection with eight intake manifold-sited fuel injectors; Bosch Motronic ME 7.1.1. electronic engine control unit (ECU); 98 RON/ROZ (93 AKI) EuroSuperPlus (premium) unleaded recommended for maximum performance and fuel economy
    exhaust system
    two multi-stage catalytic converters
    dimensions
    length: 464 millimetres (18.27 in), mass: 195 kilograms (430 lb)
    DIN-rated motive power & torque outputs, ID codes
    246 kilowatts (334 PS; 330 bhp) @ 6,600 rpm; 420 newton metres (310 lbf·ft) @ 3,500 rpm, 6,800 rpm max — BAT, BFM, BGH, BGJ
    221 kilowatts (300 PS; 296 bhp) @ 6,200 rpm; 380 newton metres (280 lbf·ft) @ 2,700-4,600 rpm, 6,500 rpm max — BAS
    253 kilowatts (344 PS; 339 bhp) @ 7,000 rpm; 410 newton metres (302 lbf·ft) @ 3,500 rpm — Audi S4: BBK (03/03-03/09), BHF (03/06-06/08 - Korea only)
    246 kilowatts (334 PS; 330 bhp) @ 6,500 rpm; 430 newton metres (317 lbf·ft) @ 3,500 rpm — Volkswagen Phaeton
    applications
    Audi B6 S4, Audi B7 S4, Audi C5 A6 allroad (BAS: 04/03-08/05), Audi C6 A6 (BAT: 04/04-05/06), Audi A8 (BFM: 11/02-05/06), Volkswagen Phaeton (BGJ: 05/03-07/03, BGH: 08/03-05/10)
    reference
    "KS Aluminium-Technologie: engine blocks for the new Audi A6". Rheinmetall.de. Rheinmetall AG. August 2004. Retrieved 27 January 2010.
    "ALUSIL - Cylinder Blocks for the new Audi V6 and V8 SI engines" (PDF). KSPG-AG.com. KS Aluminium-Technologie AG. Retrieved 1 February 2010.
    "New Audi A6 in depth". WorldCarFans.com. Audi AG. 8 April 2004. Retrieved 9 September 2009.
    Awards Edit
    was placed in the 2004 annual list of Ward's 10 Best Engines
    Scott

Comment

I think the change over was in 2009, so somewhere around S/N 200?
      Rijk

Comment

Thanks both. I was idly daydreaming about getting a Laviolette but wanted to avoid belt changes... but then I read that the later Audi V8 chain tensioners and chains can self destruct at moderate mileages too (keep a listen out when you get to 60k+ miles!). So who knows what's best!!

Comment

Today we changed the accessory belt of the chain driven BHF engine. Even though the shop manual wants you to remove the engine, Tom did do it from below with the engine in place. We had to cut an allen wrench down, because it is so tight in there, but it can be done. It was a less than 30 minute job
          Rijk

Comment

Originally posted by F Spider View Post
            Today we changed the accessory belt of the chain driven BHF engine. Even though the shop manual wants you to remove the engine, Tom did do it from below with the engine in place. We had to cut an allen wrench down, because it is so tight in there, but it can be done. It was a less than 30 minute job
            That's good to know thanks as I'll have to get mine done soon!
            Last edited by NavasP; 26-01-2020, 10:26.

Comment

Originally posted by NavasP View Post
              That's good to know thanks as I'll have to get mine done soon!
              Welcome to Spyker Owner. Would you share the last three digits of your VIN number with us? We can register you as an owner and give you access to thar side of the website.
              Rijk

Comment

Is this the same engine (and associated problems) as what's in the Spyker C8 Spyder?

https://jalopnik.com/here-s-why-the-...car-1676466510

Comment

Hi My Spyker chassis is 085

Comment

Working...
                  X