Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 086 has arrived...

In a word: WOW!!

I've never driven a Spyker previously, but after putting some 50 miles of driving 086 home today, I can tell you this is an experience unlike any other. Massive rush complements of the growl of the engine, terrific torque, non-stop fun cornering (although I spun out a bit when I overcooked things on one particular turn with my dealer in the passenger seat), open air ride and constant compliments wherever I went...non-stop fun.

One thing I could not figure out (bear in mind this is an 06) is that starting the car appears to be a 3-step process...put key in glove compartment and turn key, hit red ignition switch, then push button. I had erroneously thought that the hockey puck looking medallion sitting in my pocket would simply allow me to hit the ignition switch, the hit start (a bit of a pain to reach over to the glove compartment to start or kill the engine).

A few minor issues experienced, which I'm sure Vinny and Bashir will be on top of:

o The dealer had one heck of a time figuring out how to start the car (the salesguys were a bit clueless about the car even though they have been "trained"). It turns out my car has a Clifford alarm installed, which caused problems with start up (there was a thread a few days ago with a pic of an ugly alarm key fob...that's my key!). I'm not really sure why I need a Clifford when I can simply press my medallion to alarm the car.

o The soft top was so badly damaged that they had to send it back to Holland and will get me a new one.

o The rubber O-rings on the shifter were cracked and need to be replaced.

o The rear view mirror was broken.

o The trunk release is not working properly.

Other items that I'm sure you guys have dealt with: 1) not thrilled with the blinkers requiring that you shut them off and the fact that indicator is hidden
    behind the steering wheel, 2) for some strange reason I thought the windows rolled completely down, but they do not...maybe its just me, but my field of vision when I look left is obstructed by the split window frame. Also manual braking will take some getting used:lol:

All or most of the above I would expect from any new car coupled with the fact that the car has been sitting for a few years...nothing out of the ordinary and just a matter of me bringing the car back for service.

I'm really thrilled with the car. Took my 13 yr old son for a ride and he was blown away (only complaint was that the plastic bits that normally hold the 4-point seatbelts in place hurt his head!).

Can't wait to take 086 out again tomorrow and get a bit more familiar. Very happy with my purchase

Congratulations!

I am sure the small issues can and will be sorted out. I agree driving a Spyker is an experience unlike any other. This brand puts a smile on the face from ear to ear.

Comment

Originally posted by Swisstrader View Post
      One thing I could not figure out (bear in mind this is an 06) is that starting the car appears to be a 3-step process...put key in glove compartment and turn key, hit red ignition switch, then push button. I had erroneously thought that the hockey puck looking medallion sitting in my pocket would simply allow me to hit the ignition switch, the hit start (a bit of a pain to reach over to the glove compartment to start or kill the engine).
      It is indeed a 3-step process to start the engine.

But it is a 1 stop process to kill the engine: with any of the steps in the starting proces you can stop the engine running.

Comment

Other items that I'm sure you guys have dealt with: 1) not thrilled with the blinkers requiring that you shut them off and the fact that indicator is hidden behind the steering wheel,
        They should stop automatically but even on #107 they frequently stay on. At least you can see the indicators when you have a propeller steering wheel.

When you press the blinker stalk very shortly, the blinker lights up only three times. So what I have learned myself is that when I put on the blinker on, I press the stalk again very shortly (in the same direction) when I actually make the turn. So I know the blinker stops after three times.

Comment

Can't wait to take 086 out again tomorrow and get a bit more familiar.
          Don't forget to take a camera with you

Comment

Hey, congrats! It is the best feeling zooming around in these cars, yes?

Justice
            With Tenacity, No Roof Is Impossible

Comment

Congrats, enjoy your new car and don't forget to take some photo's!

Peter
              Digi-Shape Auto Fotografie
              Digi-Shape Auto Posters

Comment

Congrats and enjoy the ride!

P.S. Is it not possible to let the key in the glove compartment in permanently?
                Winning on sunday, selling on monday!

Comment

Congratulations and have fun with it.
                  Olav

Instagram
                  https://www.instagram.com/3stfotografie/?hl=nl

Comment

Congrats!!!

Enjoy...
                    Niels

Comment

Congratulations and have fun.

Dutchdude
                      Spykerowner #141
                      sigpic

Comment

Sounds great. Can't wait to see pictures!

Comment

That sounds terrific ....drive save keep sharing your experiences here......

Comment

Originally posted by SpykerOwner View Post
                            Don't forget to take a camera with you
                            And? Did you bring the camera with you?

Comment

Originally posted by SpykerOwner View Post
                              And? Did you bring the camera with you?

Hans:

I am terrible with a camera, whether it be special family events or documenting my travels with my car. Always would rather take a mental "image" and enjoy the memory vs sit behind a camera, although can't share with you guys!

Don't even own a camera....I will buy one just so I can start to share

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X