No announcement yet.

Roundabouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

... these ones do exist in several places in the UK. Hatton Cross (near my home), Colchester, Southend-on-Sea, Denham and Hemel Hempstead... the earliest one opened in 1972. Old news to the Brits! They are usually topping the lists of UK's worst roundabouts. Equally tricky are the double roundabouts... quite common, and sometimes too narrow for all the traffic. More interesting I find the existence of a "Roundabout Appreciation Society" :lol::lol::lol: (source).

Comment

This does not translate well to American audiences. Did we invent the "cloverleaf"? We certainly have enough of them. Roundabouts seem particularly odd to us.
      With Tenacity, No Roof Is Impossible

Comment

Last summer they put two in on one of our country roads nearby. I love 'em! I'm always trying to see how quickly I can negotiate them... But I am usually foiled by people ahead of me who are completely confounded by the concept, coming to a stop.

They work great, out where they are, but not sure if it would be a viable solution for the busier intersections. At least for us. And they seem to take up a lot of room. Of course, the way they built ours, there's a mound in the middle, which makes it difficult to see who's coming around! We're new at this...

Comment

That's the way the ones are built in Massachusetts, on the way out to the Cape, and they create enormous back-ups on high traffic volume weekends and holidays.

I'll take a clover-leaf every time! :lol:
          With Tenacity, No Roof Is Impossible

Comment

... cloverleaf interchanges have their own little problems: exiting and entering traffic uses the same lane. Therefore, I believe, some other forms of interchanges are favoured these days. Parclo (partial cloverleaf) or clover stacks seem to avoid weaving...
            Attached Files
            Last edited by amzamz; 19-09-2012, 12:52.

Comment

Working...
            X