Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by F Spider View Post
    Torque------------------ 275 lb-ft---------- 354 lb-ft---------- 29% more
    at------------------------ 4750 rpm--------- 3500 rpm--------- 1250 rpm less
    Especially the higher number of Torque at much lower revs makes the C8 very fun and impressive to drive!
    In order to create objects of timeless beauty, one must respect the past, enjoy the present and look with enthusiasm into the future. www.michielvandenbrink.com

Comment

There are a number of surprises in that list. As a driver of both the Spider and Spyder, the difference in the brake system is enormous. The Power brake system in the Ferrari has lots of feel and modulation. The non-assisted brakes in the Spyker feel much harder and take a lot of muscle. So, I was very surprised that the stopping distances in the Spyker are shorter.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by F Spider; 05-12-2007, 16:29.
      Rijk

Comment

So, I was very surprised that the stopping distances in the Spyker are shorter.
        Pirelli says: "Power is nothing without control."
        This also counts for stopping power, ofcourse.
        Possibly the tires of the Spyker are better and the much lower weight is a huge advantage as well.
        In order to create objects of timeless beauty, one must respect the past, enjoy the present and look with enthusiasm into the future. www.michielvandenbrink.com

Comment

Originally posted by Michiel Mobiel View Post
          Pirelli says: "Power is nothing without control."
          This also counts for stopping power, ofcourse.
          Possibly the tires of the Spyker are better and the much lower weight is a huge advantage as well.
          Weight is the biggest enemy of performance. Colin Chapman understood that best.

Comment

There are a number of surprises in that list. As a driver of both the Spider and Spyder, the difference in the brake system is enormous. The Power brake system in the Ferrari has lots of feel and modulation. The non-assisted brakes in the Spyker feel much harder and take a lot of muscle. So, I was very surprised that the stopping distances in the Spyker are shorter.
            And interesting that the Ferrari is 0.01g better in but still 0.5mph slower in the slalom

Comment

-------------------------- Ferrari------------ Spyker
              -------------------------- 360 Spider------- C8 Spyder
              -------------------------- 2001-------------- 2006
              Weight distribution f/r- 42/58%----------- 43/57%
              Slalom------------------ 66.6 mph--------- 67.1 mpg
              Turns lock to lock -------2.7---------------- 2.3
              Max first gear---------- 87 dBA------------ 92 dBA
              Constant 70 mph------- 75 dBA------------ 83 dBA

Source: Road&Track
              The Spyker has a better weight distribution. She does the slalom faster (I reckon 67.1 mpg should be mph) .

Rijk, does the Spyker feel more direct as it has 0.4 less lock to lock?

Great to see that they actually measured the maximum dBA in first gear instead of Vmax :lol:

Maybe Vmax should be derived from the fact that 83 dBA = 70 mph :lol:
              ______

Mel

Comment

The Ferrari has an exhaust valve which closes at speeds under 3500rpm to fulfill the noise standards. This gives the car the famous Ferrari wail at 87 DBA, and the car still stays legal.

Spyker did it completely different. The car is within the legal noise limits when the "sport" button on the dashboard is in the "off" position. But, when you switch the "sport" button on, all hell breaks loose. It bypasses the muffler and is incredibly loud anywhere in the rev range and at full throttle it reaches 92 DBA. This is 5-8 DBA louder than the Ferrari (keep in mind that and increase of 10 DBA is a DOUBLING of the amount of noise).
                Rijk

Comment

(keep in mind that and increase of 10 DBA is a DOUBLING of the amount of noise).
                  Doubling the amount of noise means an increase of 3 DBA.
                  8 DBA more means the Spyker shouts and roars almost 2.7 times louder.

Comment

Michiel,

Can I borrow your DBA meter? Yours is louder than mine
                    Last edited by F Spider; 07-12-2007, 15:29.
                    Rijk

Comment

I could be wrong... It's kind of complicated...

Decibel - Wikipedia

Het begrip dB(A)

Comment

-------------------------- Ferrari------------ Spyker
                        -------------------------- 360 Spider------- C8 Spyder
                        Our driving---------------- 10.8 mpg--------- 18 mpg
                        This was a big surprise in the beginning. 10.8 mpg equals 4.5 km/l and 18 mpg equals 7.5km/l. Now I understand. Just to get the sound out of the Ferrari, you bring it all the way up to 8500 revs, over and over again, while the Spyker has such an enormous amount of torque at relatively low levels, that if is not necessary to go in the higher ranges.
                        Rijk

Comment

Which means your Spyker uses less fuel than my Alfa

Comment

.. and 18 mpg equals 7.5km/l.
                            = 21 mpg for the English amongst us

Comment

Originally posted by SpykerOwner View Post
                              Which means your Spyker uses less fuel than my Alfa
                              Originally posted by SpykerOwner View Post
                              = 21 mpg for the English amongst us
                              Surely you get more than 21mpg out your Alfa - I average about 25mpg from mine

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Slegg View Post
                                Surely you get more than 21mpg out your Alfa - I average about 25mpg from mine
                                Depends on what she's used for. Last week my wife used her for several short trips and did a lot of city driving. I already had to fill her up after 300 kms, which means we managed about 14 maybe 15 mpg.

My overall average must be somewhere near 21 maybe 22 mpg.

Comment

Working...
                                X