Peking-to-Paris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peking-to-Paris

The new Car and Driver this month, charting the model year changes, says the D8 is dead. Is there a difference between the D8 and what I thought was called the D12 SSUV?

Brett

It was first called the D12 Peking-to-Paris because it was supposed to get the 6.0 W12 engine from Volskwagen. But since this year they changed the name into D8 Peking-to-Paris. Because it will get an American V8.

Can you maybe scan the article from Car and Driver? I am very curious about it!

Comment

Originally posted by AX lover View Post
      It was first called the D12 Peking-to-Paris because it was supposed to get the 6.0 W12 engine from Volskwagen. But since this year they changed the name into D8 Peking-to-Paris. Because it will get an American V8.
      Spyker also changed some minor details as well. There are some style elements from the Aileron used on the D8.

Comment

Originally posted by Basokolow View Post
        The new Car and Driver says the D8 is dead.

Brett
        I have not heard anything about that
        Rijk

Comment

D8

Looks like just a nomenclature issue. The D12 is gone, but Spyker is going forward with the D8. Just sloppy journalism.

Brett

Comment

What a pity? Why the engine changed?

Comment

Because VW will stop producing the W12 engine shorty, so Spyker won't be able to buy the engines from them. Because of the weak dollar, it is profitable for Spyker to get them from the States instead.

Comment

When can we expect an official presentation of the d8? Eager to hear some news about that one
                The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do

Comment

Will take some time I guess. At the Geneva Autoshow Spyker will present the C8 Aileron Spyder (prototype?). And I don't think they will present 2 new cars at that show.

The production of the D8 will start at the end of 2009, so I guess we will see the production version somewhere in the second half of 2009. Maybe at London or LA?

Comment

What do you guy’s think of the renewed D8? (Longer nose and different longer headlights) I quite like the changes.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter View Post
                      What do you guy’s think of the renewed D8? (Longer nose and different longer headlights) I quite like the changes.
                      I'm missing the side mirrors
                      Rijk

Comment

Originally posted by F Spider View Post
                        I'm missing the side mirrors
                        I remember spyker also “forgot” to mount mirrors the first time I saw a Spyker at the AutoRAI in 2001 .

Comment

The reason for not having mirrors is probable because the type of mirrors as on the first two prototypes will be replaced by newly designed ones.

The overall design of the Peking-to-paris has changed form propeller inspired to the new turbine design. The wheels and air intakes are now like the C8 Aileron. I think the original mirrors will be renewed also. I guess the D8 Peking-to-Paris will get mirrors that have practically the same shape as the ones mounted on the C8 Aileron.

Comment

Notice that the fog light are now further apart and that the airvents around the nose intake and behind the fog lights are gone.

Comment

Working...
                            X