Will there be a C8 with 600HP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will there be a C8 with 600HP?

So, what will happen when they decide to also put a 600+HP engine in the Spyker C8 LWB? It would be hard to avoid electronic controls. The power to weight ratio is just right with 400HP. What happens when you add 50% power?
    Rijk

Originally posted by F Spider View Post
    So, what will happen when they decide to also put a 600+HP engine in the Spyker C8 LWB? It would be hard to avoid electronic controls. The power to weight ratio is just right with 400HP. What happens when you add 50% power?
    .....you'll literally go for a spin!!!

Comment

Very droll:lol:
      Rijk

Comment

I can see the dilemmas you encounter when designing a car like the Spyker C8. You want a non-compromise car for the purist, great attention to detail, work tirelessly to reduce weight. But all that costs money. Hand built out of the best materials cost money, and finally you end up with a car that is more expensive than a Ferrari 430.

Now, there are enough purists that would love to have a car like this, but most of them do not have enough money. Now, there are people that have money to buy a Spyker, but they are not enough purist to appreciate the car. It turns out that the combination of those two does not happen often enough to make a viable business out of Spyker.

So, you have to compromise. How would you proceed? Please discuss....
        Rijk

Comment

Cut out the detail; use materials which are don't necessarily give the best strength to weight ratio and try and achieve 90% of the performance for 50% of the cost

Comment

600 HP would be a great idea but only if you were add in traction control and various other electronics that go with that. I think the current setup could easily handle another 100hp but even at that I wouldn't let any novice drive my car. At 400 it is easy to spin at 500 it would be really entertaining. Unfortunately, with added HP, you also get added weight (more mass, more cooling systems, likely reinforced frame, etc.) so that HP:weight may not be as strong as you would think. I'd love to try it out though!

Dan

Comment

The problem is that there is a certain group of potential customers that will never think in terms of LB per HP. They want a simplistic answer and saying that their car has 400 HP is not going to cut it any more in todays market.

You need to be in the 500-700HP bracket to sell Spykers to these customers. Never mind that a Bentley GT is heavier than a Cayenne Turbo. It's the absolute number that counts.
              Rijk

Comment

The problem is that there is a certain group of potential customers that will never think in terms of LB per HP. They want a simplistic answer and saying that their car has 400 HP is not going to cut it any more in todays market.

You need to be in the 500-700HP bracket to sell Spykers to these customers. Never mind that a Bentley GT is heavier than a Cayenne Turbo. It's the absolute number that counts.
                Well in that case they going to have to achieve those figures; but as Dan say's they will also have to aim at improving the ease of driving - or end up with dead customers

Comment

Well, more electronic controls will take away from the driving experience. So, maybe it has to be like the steering wheel switch in the Ferrari. You can turn off all electronic overrides if you want to.
                  Rijk

Comment

Well, more electronic controls will take away from the driving experience. So, maybe it has to be like the steering wheel switch in the Ferrari. You can turn off all electronic overrides if you want to.
                    Yes - I think you're probably right - an 'Off' switch will be required/desirable

Comment

if they put that type of power in this car, they will need to get the technology to keep it on the road. The problem is, they don't OWN the technology nor do they have the funds to develop them. So, can it be licensed?? I have no idea.

99% of of F430 owners will be MUCH faster with all electronic assist on. The fact that they CAN shut it off makes it desirable. "If I want to kill myself, I can!"

Dan

Comment

Yesterday I was driving the Spyker C8 as well as the Ferrari 360 Spider on rather slick roads. I must say that I fell much more confident in the Ferrari.
                        Rijk

Comment

Originally posted by SpykerX3 View Post
                          if they put that type of power in this car, they will need to get the technology to keep it on the road. The problem is, they don't OWN the technology nor do they have the funds to develop them. So, can it be licensed?? I have no idea.

99% of of F430 owners will be MUCH faster with all electronic assist on. The fact that they CAN shut it off makes it desirable. "If I want to kill myself, I can!"

Dan
                          I have to agree with Dan - though programmes like Top Gear etc always go on about turning the electronics off - I'm sure the non-racing drivers of us in good conditions - and probably ALL drivers in poor conditions; will be quicker with them on

Comment

I'll tell you what... I used to track a LOT and the fact is that unless you track a lot you will not be as sharp as you would like. In fact, i haven't been to a track in about six weeks and I can promise you that I will beat my lap times with trac/stability on versus off. MOST of us like to drive our cars for weekends (I will take myself off that list however) or 3k-4k miles per year MAX. With that in mind, we like to be "cool" and have the OPTION of driving really fast we so choose. Any by that, I mean in a straight line. Any novice in a C8 will feel a bit jittery taking this in a turn fast. If you aren't prepared for it, you will spin. Just ask my friend Doug who came out for a weekend. He took it two blocks and then a right hand turn IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD almost caused a 720 spinout going 30-35 MPH. These guys are loose. Completely acceptable but I can't heed enough warning to you owners to be careful until you get a lot of time on the road. The clutch is a racing style clutch (in the mid vins) with the higher numbers being a little more loose. If the first thing you said to yourself when you got in was "wow, that clutch is really tight" then you sir are someone that REALLY need to be aware of your driving. That tells me that you are not used to being a in a tight car (not a slam just a statement!) and therefore may not be able to react to how your car reacts to certain circumstances. Another sign of this will be if you have fear of stalling the car. You have to TRY to stall a 360 and this thing will stall on you in a heartbeat if you don't know what you are doing. One tip if this is "you". The clutch has much less play than most cars. So, to compensate for this you need to be very aware of the minor movements your left foot makes while the clutch is in that 1.5- 2.0 inch engage area. Once you get used to that sweet spot you will be fine. I must admit that I still struggle now and then if I have been driving my other cars and then hop in to the C8.

Bottom line and back to the point... This car will kill people without any assist. More HP = More cooling system. More cooling system = more weight. More weight = lower HP:Weight Ratio. Lower HP:Weight Ratio = negates the effect of the increased HP substantially. Common sense stuff but easy to forget when you start talking about HP numbers. You are generally one of two types of people... 1) Someone who wants HP and could care less about weight (we'll leave torque out of this discussion for now), or ; 2) Someone who wants a great HP:Weight Ratio. I'm #2 all the way. I have seen monster trucks with 2000 HP and I was not impressed. On the other hand I had a Lotus Elise with a 10:1 ratio and was astounded. Which one are you??

Dan

Comment

I think the 600+HP Spyker C8 is closer to become a reality soon, but only in the LWB.
                              Rijk

Comment

Working...
                              X