Adoration of Spykers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adoration of Spykers.

Hello all, my name is Kyle and I'm a bright eyed 22 year old youngster with the goal to own a Spyker by 35.

No where close to achieving that goal yet, but will keep plugging away.

My first experience with one was at the World Class Driving Festival at West Baden in 2008.

The few that were on display simply stole the show, stunning styling and craftsmanship. Since I saw the C8 in green in side the atrium, nothing has come close to the sheer mechanical beauty.

Then I got to sit in one, admiring the interior was an experience my mind needed a full weekend to process and appreciate fully.

And then I got to hear the sound at full throttle.

Absolutely my favorite car. I was glad to find this forum and will continue to lurk until I can cross that line of my to-do list.

Welcome to the forum and Good Luck achieving your goal Kyle!
    Winning on sunday, selling on monday!

Comment

Welcome! That's a nice goal wich is about the same as for most enthousiasts here.:lol:
      Louis

Comment

"own a Spyker by age 35"?...not aggressive enough and too far out on the time horizon!! Set a goal today and then go after that goal with laser focus...that's how I've lived my life and thusfar, not too shabby

Comment

Heck, you know how they start . . .

Steal one! :lol:
          With Tenacity, No Roof Is Impossible

Comment

35 is fine, especially if the Ferrari is at 34, the Lambo at 33, the Porsche at 32...though I might quibble with the order...

I got mine at 37, though it was two years old, so with some fuzzy math, I could have had it new at 35, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Swisstrader View Post
              "own a Spyker by age 35"?...not aggressive enough and too far out on the time horizon!! Set a goal today and then go after that goal with laser focus...that's how I've lived my life and thusfar, not too shabby
              Haha, but each year before 35 that I get it is just added success!

Comment

what is life all about

In this context, I must admit I never went for money in my life. Except in the early years of my childhood, when pocket money was starting (and not enough) I would even steal coins from my mum's purse....

For me, the driving force is finding a task (or a mission) that catches my attention 100%. I am in science and technology. I was lucky enough to be a creative mind, and this can be used here. Twenty years ago I was starting a few modest experiments and published them. The topic was "lab on a chip". This was then taken up by others at universities and start-up companies. By sheer luck I was part of one of those... and made some money through shares. Unintentionally, so to say. I wanted to be modest, asked for a low consulting fee but some share options. This turned out to be good. Also, I have started my own scientific journal (now published by the Royal Society of Chemistry), I have started my own scientific conference series (now annual with 1,000 attendees) and I am currently running my second research institute (on Korean money, no Spykers in Korea).

I am currently interested in "The Human Document Project" which intends to describe mankind and tries to preserve the document for 1 million years. Technically, that is (1) depositing Wikipedia on the moon and labeling it with a landmark the size of the Chinese wall, (2) encoding text into the DNA of an Australian deep sea shark (which has been unchanged for 600 miliion years) or (3) producing billions of monocrystalline silicon chips, with deep etched code on it, encapsulate them in amber and distribute them all over the planet. This is not really going after money for myself, is it?

Comment

Originally posted by amzamz View Post
                  In this context, I must admit I never went for money in my life. Except in the early years of my childhood, when pocket money was starting (and not enough) I would even steal coins from my mum's purse....

For me, the driving force is finding a task (or a mission) that catches my attention 100%. I am in science and technology. I was lucky enough to be a creative mind, and this can be used here. Twenty years ago I was starting a few modest experiments and published them. The topic was "lab on a chip". This was then taken up by others at universities and start-up companies. By sheer luck I was part of one of those... and made some money through shares. Unintentionally, so to say. I wanted to be modest, asked for a low consulting fee but some share options. This turned out to be good. Also, I have started my own scientific journal (now published by the Royal Society of Chemistry), I have started my own scientific conference series (now annual with 1,000 attendees) and I am currently running my second research institute (on Korean money, no Spykers in Korea).

I am currently interested in "The Human Document Project" which intends to describe mankind and tries to preserve the document for 1 million years. Technically, that is (1) depositing Wikipedia on the moon and labeling it with a landmark the size of the Chinese wall, (2) encoding text into the DNA of an Australian deep sea shark (which has been unchanged for 600 miliion years) or (3) producing billions of monocrystalline silicon chips, with deep etched code on it, encapsulate them in amber and distribute them all over the planet. This is not really going after money for myself, is it?
                  amaamz: even though I am on my 3rd magarita, you have become my new hero...each of us I am sure have our own unique stories, but yours is truly unique.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, Swisstrader!

I am just myself, that's all. On the other hand there is a lot of fun, and sometimes fun turns into money. No need to do much. I am a lazy guy.

I would love to transport a Spyker to the moon and leave it there. How about that? We simply need a free Spyker C8 Spyder (needs not even be running) and a sponsor for the $ 200M it takes to spacelift it to the moon. You see, that would be for me! I would take a 1% stake and enjoy life ever after!!!

Let me know if your friends are Spielbergs, Gates' or Sultans of Brunei. I appreciate if the more detailed communication on this be by private e-mail.

Comment

change the name of this thread

Could we perhaps change the name of this thread to something like
                      "advice for Spyker fans: how to get the First One",
                      "what I would tell my son, if he was ambitious" or
                      "a Spyker for dummies"

p.s. dear Konatown! What lesson can you learn from all this? Be relaxed, thats first priority. Don't focus on money, focus on being excellent and do your job. Make a move, get a feel and have fun! The rest might happen automatically... Please don't be offended by all the above. It is real!

p.s. II
                      dear fellows at Spyker's marketing and sales. I hope this boosts the image of Spyker. I am not inclined to deteriorate the reputation of the company in any way. It's simply that the first few owners (up to serial # 249.999) are pioneers, going to Himalayas or North Pole, taking all the risks, fixing all the small flaws, probably the first ones to do real high speed on public roads and stopping from 270 km/h to zero, and whatever it takes.... it is fun and I am sure we are all kind of proud of that! This is true "Spykeromania", but I am afraid the future owners of Ailerons will have to open their own website....

(sorry, I am in South Korea with jet lag... or is it the hangover after last night's business dinner?)
                      Last edited by amzamz; 08-11-2009, 06:13.

Comment

Such wisdom from the same mouth that gives us "a Spyker for Dummies."

Life is full of contradictions!

Justice
                        With Tenacity, No Roof Is Impossible

Comment

Some impressive posts here. With wisdom, experience and humour. Keep 'm coming

Comment

Amzamz speaks the truth.

Kyle, it is much more important to have a goal of SUCCESS, however you may define it, than a monetary goal. Without any idea of how you are going to get there, monetary rewards will elude you as you search for the answer that fits you best. When I graduated I wasn't sure yet what I wanted to do; I knew I had the opportunity with the family business but I wasn't sure yet that was the best fit for me. The more "mainstream", coporate jobs I interviewed for, the more I found myself liking the opportunity at the family business. Further, I didn't want what my dad had spent most of his life building to just go away when he retired. I went with the family business and the rewards have been many, both monetarily but in terms of the satisfaction of what I've accomplished. The great irony is that I would have been better off monetarily had I entered the corporate world, but my life would not have been as rich, and I would be working for someone else, whom I may have not met, instead of adding to the legacy of the greatest man I ever met, my dad.

When I was younger I wanted to have a Porsche by the time I was 27. I'm 39 now, and still waiting for that Porsche. BUT, I have spent the last 20 years doing track days with my crazy old Firebird, and I have more great memories from that than I can count. I have a friend who has desperately wanted a Viper for years, and he always says that when he gets it, he's going to come to a trackday with me. In the meantime, he's been sitting on the sidelines, watching the game. I tell him to just get something he can afford, and at least get in the game! He refuses to see it that way. Don't get me wrong, I still want that Porsche, and I've always told myself that I'm going to own a Lamborghini some day also. But just because I haven't yet doesn't mean I'm a failure. So keep in mind that if you set hard and fast goals for yourself, and you can't meet them, you may end up disappointed. Better to have the goal of making the most of your life, using your skills to their fullest, and look for success in all forms along the way. It may not happen the way you planned, but you will still be a success.

Dream big, always think positive, never take yourself too seriously, live without regrets!

This was all written stream-of-consciousness, hope it makes some kind of sense!
                            Last edited by Mattjs33; 09-11-2009, 00:46.

Comment

Marry RICH!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X