No announcement yet.

1907 Spyker restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since I mentioned it, I've been considering starting a new thread in the Register for the classic models; been kind of busy lately though. But I was reviewing the Louwman museum thread and IVR has a lot of nice photos of the old Spykers there, and he has his new reference book. So if I may be so bold, I nominate IVR to start the classic models thread in the registry!

Comment

Originally posted by IVR007 View Post
      ... between 1500 and 2000 cars and trucks were build (14 of them still exist). ...
      I would hope that modern Spyker cars will survive at a much higher rate than 1 percent !!! Where have they all gone? Were they so crap that people threw them away I thought they were extraordinary vehicles... Or, can we expect 100s of "barn finds" in the Netherlands? I suspect they have all been found... Did rost eat them up, or were they destroyed in WW1? I am really curious!

Comment

Originally posted by Mattjs33 View Post
        Since I mentioned it, I've been considering starting a new thread in the Register for the classic models; been kind of busy lately though. But I was reviewing the Louwman museum thread and IVR has a lot of nice photos of the old Spykers there, and he has his new reference book. So if I may be so bold, I nominate IVR to start the classic models thread in the registry!
        Very bold indeed Just kidding. I´m happy to do it but if someone else wants to: feel free to do so. I'll probably limit it to the 'survivors' and a general story about the history and different models. Don't expect any results soon though, I barely got enough time to sleep at the moment. I'll have to read the book, do some research and get in touch with Louwman for the chassis numbers first.

Originally posted by amzamz View Post
        I would hope that modern Spyker cars will survive at a much higher rate than 1 percent !!! Where have they all gone? Were they so crap that people threw them away I thought they were extraordinary vehicles... Or, can we expect 100s of "barn finds" in the Netherlands? I suspect they have all been found... Did rost eat them up, or were they destroyed in WW1? I am really curious!
        I'dont know if other companies have higher survival rates... they may have more survivors simply because of larger productions. The first impression that I got from the book was that Hendrik-Jan Spyker was super focused on getting very, very high quality and innovations levels. I don't know how easy it is for you to read Dutch but I think you would very much like the book Amzamz...
        The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do

Comment

Originally posted by IVR007 View Post
          I just received my book about the old Spyker, it's called 'Spyker - A dutch Fabricate' from Wim Oude Weernink. It's a second edition, printed in 1998. Pretty hard to get your hands on a copy in good condition.

It's a fantastic historical book. When I have some time I'll will read it thoroughly and write a review here if wanted. Might be a great help in establishing an unofficial register (just as getting in touch with Louwman and/or the 'Trombenburg institute' in Wassenaar).

I think there is an english version as well, called 'Spyker - made in Holland' but I'm not sure whether that's the same book and availability might be even worse.
          That's correct IVR007, there is an English version of this book. I found one on ebay: SPYKER MADE IN HOLLAND CAR HISTORY MOTORING BOOK | eBay

Happy bidding !
          Winning on sunday, selling on monday!

Comment

I've started doing my homework of finding out more about the classic Spyker. I'm running a very limited scheme at the moment so don't expect any results soon though.

Something special: I recently moved to Amsterdam, in a neighbourhood called the 'Rivierenbuurt' or roughly translated: River-neighbourhood. Turns out that literally one street away from my home is the Trombenburgstreet where Spyker had it's (third) factory where they built cars and planes. It was built on the location of the manor of Captain Cornelis Tromp, hence the name Trompenburg.

The old manor:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	amsterdam_trompenburg_rademaker.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	63753

The factory:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	trompenburgh.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	63754
            Last edited by IVR007; 11-08-2011, 22:48.

Comment

How cool is that!

Comment

What a story and it's finished! Read and see: Rob Spyker Gives a Closer Look at his 1907 Spyker Restoration Project

Comment

Working...
                X