Help me choose a new car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me choose a new car

One week out of every four I spend in the Netherlands (the other three weeks I'm in New York). I have a US car imported under US plates, because this is much cheaper in taxes (about 40% cheaper).

I used to have a Lotus Elise, and now I have a Honda S2000. Normally you can only keep a US plated car in the Netherlands for 6 months, before you have to pay the taxes, but I found a way to keep a car for up to three years.

This coming September the Honda S2000 has to go and I do not want to get another one. As brilliant as this car is, I miss a soul. No matter the changes I made to the car. It remains soul-less (like a NSX and probably also the new Nissan GT-R).

I like to get interesting cars from different countries, but am at a loss at what to get next.

For the time I am in Holland it is a daily driver, and have no passengers. I prefer convertibles, but also have to be able to drive in the rain, and snow/sleet if necessary (which happens rarely). The car is parked in an underground garage.

The budget is around $100K before taxes, but that has some flexibility if necessary (the car is fully tax deductible, so it feels like a $50K car).

I know that that is not fair, but that is why I moved to the US.
    Rijk

Lotus Exige (with aftermarket roof to make getting in and out easier)
    Maserati 4200 GT Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by SpykerOwner View Post
      Lotus Exige (with aftermarket roof to make getting in and out easier)
      Maserati 4200 GT Spyder
      I thought an Exige only came in hard-top???

You could get another Elise or an Eleven.

As a more 'everyday' car an Alfa Spider 3.2 Q4 - good for snow and a convertible. It comes well within your budget so you could get the Auto-delta supercharger put on it. I'm surprised SO didn't suggest this

Comment

Kevin,

Alfa is still not sold in the US, so currently not really an option.

I find the Elise a little short on power, but the fixed roof on the Exige is very low and (from experience) after a week crawling in and out (as a big guy) I'd be irritated. The Elise has an aftermarket Gull Wing roof where the panels swing up for easier in- and egress. I don't know if they also make the Gull Wing roof for the Exige. I also have a problem with the lack of waterproofness of the Lotus. For a weekend car, no problem, but driving in the rain and wearing a business suit did not go very well together. I love to find out if the hard-top is better waterproof, but I doubt it.
        Rijk

Comment

The Maserati GranSport Convertible seems to be the obvious choice. However, it would be nice if I could avoid having another Italian car.
          Rijk

Comment

And Maserati stopped production! Or doesn't it have to be a new car?

Comment

It does not have to be new. The new Maserati GT is still only a coupe as well as that it is too heavy.
              Rijk

Comment

Originally posted by F Spider View Post
                ..I love to find out if the hard-top is better waterproof, but I doubt it.
                We could pay the Dutch Lotus importer a visit this Saturday if you want.

Comment

The Maserati GranSport Convertible seems to be the obvious choice. However, it would be nice if I could avoid having another Italian car.
                  Aston Martin Vantage

Comment

At $129K a little over the budget, but a good idea. I never looked at it, because someone told me that it was a tight fit. Probably worth looking into.
                    Rijk

Comment

You can waite a little bit, and wait when the Ferrari 599 GTB Spider arrives. Or is that to expensive? New Aston DBS or DB9 Le Mans (road car) Mercedes C63 AMG, Audi R8 V10 , Corvette ZR-1, Nissan GT-R (shame that it is a Nissan), BMW M3, Lotus 2+2, Porsche Cayman/911. All this cars are a option I thougt, but a car that you buy with your heart and soul.

Comment

After the disappointment of the Vanwall you could try this

Brooke Cars

Comment

The car I need in the Netherlands is not a weekend car. In the week that I'm there I need to go to multiple meetings every day, sometimes as much as six or seven. Mostly in different locations, and always dressed up in a suit.

Whatever car I choose will be telling a lot about me to our clients, so I have to be careful.

Unlike in the USA, where driving up in a Ferrari is a sign of success, and a stimulant to clients that tells them: That architect must be doing something right, because he drives a Ferrari, I must get that guy (or gal).

In the Netherlands, clients only think: I'm paying my architect too much.

In other words: No Ferrari for me (otherwise I could bring the 360 Spider to the Netherlands when the 430 Spider arrives next spring in New York).
                          Rijk

Comment

The car I need in the Netherlands is not a weekend car. In the week that I'm there I need to go to multiple meetings every day, sometimes as much as six or seven. Mostly in different locations, and always dressed up in a suit.

Whatever car I choose will be telling a lot about me to our clients, so I have to be careful.

Unlike in the USA, where driving up in a Ferrari is a sign of success, and a stimulant to clients that tells them: That architect must be doing something right, because he drives a Ferrari, I must get that guy (or gal).

In the Netherlands, clients only think: I'm paying my architect too much.

In other words: No Ferrari for me (otherwise I could bring the 360 Spider to the Netherlands when the 430 Spider arrives next spring in New York).
                            Well in that case I suggest the Alfa again; but you'd just have to buy one in Holland

Comment

This weekend we bill check out the British candidates:

Lotus Exige S

Aston Martin V8 Vantage Covertible

Morgan Aero 8

In theory the Caterham CSR is also a candidate, but then I have to have a beater for the bad weather days. I dont think that will work with the weather in Holland.
                              Rijk

Comment

Working...
                              X