Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering a C8.. advice ??

Hi to all-.
    I have an '05 Ford GT and '65 Shelby Cobra (a reall CSX car)..
    I love Spykers, always have, esp the C8.
    I met an owner/forum member (Matthew) at a car show yesterday, where he was showing his gorgeous C8.Anyway- I am considering buying C8 #24, listed below, as my 3rd classic/exotic.
    Matthew was kind enough to educate me and also suggested I ask Forum members their advise on things like difference between earlier vs. later cars, AC (vents etc), mechanical ( air intakes etc), steering wheel.
    I would love any advice/guidance that Forum members/owners would have to offer. Very best and thanks in advance.. thx Kurt

(Other Makes in Other Makes | eBay Motors

Kurt, so glad you dropped in!

I own #083 and have been very pleased with the car. Things to keep in mind: They are handmade, so each car can be a little different from the next. Some more than others! So drive the one you are thinking of buying.

The C8 is a "raw" driver's car, not just a pretty face. Manual steering, manual brakes (on most of the cars). So it is a great learning tool, no stability control to save you. I learned to properly heel-toe downshift on mine, for example. The F1 style pedal box makes that particularly easy.

Definitely get the upgraded AC if you can. Trust me.

Good luck on your seach. The car is very beautiful, very rare, and draws a respectful crowd of car nuts wherever you go.
    With Tenacity, No Roof Is Impossible

Comment

The #024 is an early car, with the narrow body style. CPP body, rather than Karmann. In the long run the CPP might turn out to be more valuable, but then you are measuring in decades, not years....

You will get the coveted propellor steering wheel, but not much of an AC. The road holding is less good than the newer cars, but can be upgraded relatively easy. Brake pads probably will need to be upgraded also. The early ones have excessive brake dust and squealing.
      Rijk

Comment

... that is a perfectly civilized collector's item! I have a similarly low chassis number, and took it for miles and miles of touring. See here.

I agree, track behaviour, aircon, perhaps also steering and brakes may not be perfect, but I still love my car after 100,000km. You will get one of the few original early Spykers. Go for it!
        Last edited by amzamz; 18-09-2012, 13:59.

Comment

Originally posted by amzamz View Post
          ... Go for it!
          My thoughts exactly
          Rijk

Comment

I inspected this unit 6 months ago in fort lauderdale @ FTL Ferrari Maserati
            Was owned by JLO originally gift from her to her EX Marc Anthony

Comment

Fantastic info guys.. thank you all so much for your insights..
              On The Lam- I totally hear you with respect to "raw drive, manual steering, manual brakes" etc.. I am very used to that type of experience with the Cobra.. as raw and brutish as it gets.. That's actually one of the reasons i am so into the C8.. can the a/c be upgraded ?
              F Spider.. the prop steering wheel is part of the sculpture that is this car,, love it.. how would i go about upgrading the road holding/suspension ? and where do i go for service etc ? Audi ?

Comment

amzamz- unreal car and amazing footage/picts.. may just have to listen to your advice and GO FOR IT...

Comment

Panoz1- ha.. J. Lo's car ..? now thats a BIG seat to fill ... ha
                  but makes me wonder why is been passed from one dealer to another... from FM of Ft Laud. to Naples Motors... hmm.. hope there isnt a problem.. accident etc etc

Comment

There was a owner in between send me a PM and I will get you some info

Comment

I believe the AC can be upgraded, but this is not as cheap as one might like.

For service - the engine and powertrain will look familiar to Audi mechanics. Chris Mora (SpykerTech66) is the Spyker After Sales Rep for North America and he has done an excellent job of sending info to mechanics for me.

The body is aluminum, so any good body shop can work on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt View Post
                        F Spider.. the prop steering wheel is part of the sculpture that is this car,, love it.. how would i go about upgrading the road holding/suspension ? and where do i go for service etc ? Audi ?
                        There are a few cross braces available, but I'm not sure if they fit the 2005 chassis, but that would be a good question for Chris Mora.

JP Clinging (ex Spyker test drives), would probably help you with the suspension settings.

Just come over on September 30 to the Catskill Mountains for the party. You will get to talk to several owners and Chris Mora as well.
                        Rijk

Comment

thx again for all the advice guys you've all been great.. Kurt.

Comment

Most welcome. I hope you join our merry band!

Comment

Bought it !!

Well guys- it had to happen- I am proud to announce that I am the proud owner of #24. I'd like to thank the Academy- comprised of Matt, Panoz1, Stephan, Hans, Dan, Rijk, Chris Mora, and Mark Thomas.. you all advised me with invaluable opinions and expertise..thank you & Rock'n'Roll... Kurt

Comment

Working...
                              X