One year with my Cayman S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One year with my Cayman S

Hard to believe, but it's a year since I've took delivery of my Cayman S. I almost decided not to go ahead with the purchase because I live in NYC and I have no need to a car to get back and forth to work.

For 8 years I had a practical weekend car, Audi A4, that served me well until I drove over a patch of black ice and glanced off a guardrail. It would have cost too much to repair the body panels so my insurance cut me a check and totaled the car.

Oh well, so much for my plans of adding the Cayman as my 2nd car! I purchased a 2007 Infiniti G35 (Nissan Skyline) to replace the Audi and didn't think about the Porsche. This lasted all of one month before I decided I still wanted the Porsche!

The Cayman is the hardtop version of the Boxster. Leave it to Porsche marketing to make the price of their coupe more expensive then their convertible!

I had started to attend some track days with my Audi sedan and decided to option the Porsche with everything I needed to perform well on the track. This included:

PASM: an adaptive suspension that can stiffen the shocks to better handing on the road or track.
    Short shifter, sport seats, and fire extinguisher. My only concession to comfort was automatic climate control.

Here are some photos of the exterior and interior:

Pete

2008 Meteor Grey Porsche Cayman S

2007 Blue Slate Infiniti G35s 6-speed

One of the most unexpected benefits of ownership this past year has been meeting other like minded enthusiasts. This started off small when I bumped into another owner on Christmas morning.

Two then became three at another event in March

Spring arrives and I find myself organizing meetings and driving events for more owners!

Here we are attending a track day at Lime Rock Park, CT.

And we discovered that a few of our owners are VERY serious about tracking their Cayman.

Pete

Comment

With the warming weather, I decided to begin the process of learning how to push my car a bit more safely.

First, let's begin with and AutoCross event:

Pete

Comment

Our Cayman gatherings continue to grow and I make more friends in three months than I've made in the past five years.

I continue to search for a perfect photo of my car:

Pete

Comment

June arrives and it's time for me to take the car onto the big track!

This car is so capable on the track that it'll be years before the nut behind the wheel can even approach it's limits. The mid-engine layout makes it handle as if on rails. I was easily catching up with Carreras and even a GT3 on the turns.
          Pete

Comment

hey Pete, Many thanks for your One-Year-Caymanning write-up! A nice read on a rainy Sunday. The pictures are very nice I must say.

You are very close to making the perfect shot: The two in the first batch, rearview shot with water on right, plus the rear-3quarter shot with water+autumntrees outfocus in the back, are both very good. Wallpaper/POTD material. Also, where your car is on the lawn behind the two 911's, also very good, you captured some nice lighting.

Comment

Thanks!

I ran out of steam last night. I still have more photos and stories to add later this evening...
              Pete

Comment

I continue to meet more fellow owners all over the NY area.

Here we are attending a concours event in Connecticut

Pete

Comment

July rolls around and it was time to return to Lime Rock for the Ferrari track day.

This was the event that I realized we were really coming together as a group and there was something special happening.

Our group stopped everyone in the tracks when we passed through the towns. Everyone had such a great time meeting and driving to the event that plans were hatched to organize an event for ourselves and not piggyback on any Lime Rock events.

And the Zone 1 Caravan shot again:

Pete

Comment

What a great and positive read Good to hear how you formed a group like that. If I wasn't so far away I'm sure I would pop up at one of the meetings once

Also, nice pics! They make the story live

Comment

Time to continue the story!

The hot days of August arrive and we slowy begin to take over local Porsche Club events too!

Pete

Comment

August also sees our first dedicated Cayman event. No going to the track, no Porsche Club event, no shop visit.

Nothing but twenty-six cars and DRIVING!

We even get ourselves kicked out of a parking lot due to our size.

Pete

Comment

OK, so we do stop by Lime Rock for a bit

It's all about the people, right?

And my favorite photo of the summer

Pete

Comment

September rolls around and we begin hatching plans for the run to end all runs in the fall.

Of course this meant a lot of scouting runs to work out the details, or is it just another excuse for a drive?

Pete

Comment

September also has me back at the track again

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X