Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the ultimate thrill - is it really a car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the ultimate thrill - is it really a car?

... see attached a picture of the Bloodhound SSC (1:1 model of the front end). The vehicle will be powered by a jet engine and a rocket. It shall attempt to reach 1,600km/h. It is under construction by the same British consortium which built the Thrust SSC, the first car to break the sound barrier at 1,228km/h in 1997 and current land speed record holder...

Note that the Thrust SSC had 110,000 HP, acceleration 0-1,000km/h in 16s, and the fuel consumption was at 5,500L/100km (0.04 mpg). Haha! The vehicle is on permanent display at Coventry Transport Museum. ... another reason to go to Coventry.

sources: Bloodhound SSC and Thrust SSC.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by amzamz; 02-05-2010, 07:49.

Wow that means peak accelerations of over 6g . Who is the beast that's able to control this rocket?? The silver Spyker might still be at the Coventry Transport museum as well.
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do

Comment

I visited the Coventry Museum a few years ago for a Saab meeting and took these photos ..
      But yes, a Spyker was at the Muesum last December
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DavidMorgan View Post
        But yes, a Spyker was at the Muesum last December
        Besides the LM85, this car (flickr CTM photo link) was or is at the museum

Comment

a more "realistic" thrill

... is going 650 km/h with an electric vehicle a thrill? Did anyone have this experience yet? Please let me know.

Acabion "Da Vinci", electric motor 600 KW, 24,000rpm, aerodynamic drag coefficient cd=0.08, weight 430kg, acceleration 0-550km/h in less than 30s. See source here

price tag: EUR 500,000 to 5,000,000 depending on model

See the inventor's presentation here.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by amzamz; 04-05-2010, 19:52.

Comment

Biggest thrill I had was not on a bike or car but on a snow mobile!

0-100 km/h in 2,5 seconds and doing 160 km/h on a narrow track between the trees is something that gave me a bigger adrenaline rush than doing the Gumball 3000...

Comment

Wow that's a fast snow mobile! I drove one this winter too, on a safari. I'm sure it wasn't as quick as yours, but it definitely felt very quick. Too bad (not that I didn't enjoy myself!) we ended up in one of the biggest snow storms of the year!
              Took me 1,5 hours to travel a 20min route :lol::lol:

Comment

Originally posted by Des View Post
                Can we see photos of that snow mobile, please?
                Must have been really impressive! I have never tried...

(The adrenaline in Gumball probably comes from the participation fee, the Hollywood stars, paparazzis and the gamble with losing your drivers licence... otherwise, driving a supercar across thousands of miles of normal roads, in any weather, in a crowd... I am not sure if it would attract me...)

Comment

Originally posted by Des View Post
                  Drove one only about 70 mph once, scared the hell out of me. I dunno, that uneven, unpredictable surface... Lots of people around my area drive them fast like that on the frozen lakes around here, I've heard of too many people who've lost their lives doing so.

Comment

... have a look at this!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Ha! Yes, I saw this the other day, was intrigued enough by it to spend about 10 minutes reading about it online. It actually has been given FAA approval as a light sport aircraft. To me it's more of a roadable aircraft than a flying car, and I can't think of enough reasons to have one, but for some reason I still find myself wanting one!

Don't understand giving it only a 100HP engine though.

If it makes it to production you sure have to appreciate the effort required to get both FAA and DOT approval, even if they never sell one.

Comment

... another candidate may be this, a monocycle.

+ YouTube Video
                        ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

and also here, in a commercial...

+ YouTube Video
                        ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Comment

Looks like the new bloodhound is progressing well

BBC News - Cockpit complete for 1,000mph Bloodhound car

Comment

Working...
                          X