Official Spyker Owner Forum

Go Back   Official Spyker Owner Forum > Spyker Enthusiasts - Public Forum > Technical Q&A

Old 12-07-2008, 02:33
Spyker Owner #207 (former owner #107)

Fans turn on after the car is turned off

For some strange reason the fans come on a while after the car is shut off. The car is not running hot. Water 88C, Oil 92C. Outside temp 75F (23C).

When I turn off the engine with the kill switch on the dashboard, the gas pump seems to stay on. After 10 minutes the radiator fans come on. I tried to shut them down by taking out the Audi key. They turned off, but after a few minutes they turned on again. No Engine check light is on.

It has never done anything like this. I can only stop it by turning off the master switch under the front fender.

Anybody know what is happening?

Old 12-07-2008, 19:41

This morning I turned on the master switch, and neither the fuel pump nor the fans came on.

Old 12-07-2008, 21:21
Administrator

Flat battery?
Old 12-07-2008, 22:20

I don't think so, but I did not start the car yet.

Old 14-07-2008, 08:31
Former Spyker Owner #152

I would also guess the Battery is toast-- it may read "ok" but it has to read "good" in order for things to work right. Batteries here in AZ last 3-4 years in normal cars. Unfortunately, heat does severe damage to batteries and I expect my Spyker to last 2-3 years max. I would say 3-4 if you live in less extremely areas. I know those of you that are currently subscribed to this thread will know this so here is some info for those of your reading this down the road: Car batteries (wet cell) will lose roughly 1% of their total capacity to charge per week that they are not used. There is nothing worse (other than heat) for a car battery than to let it sit for weeks on end without use. This is even more important when you are dealing with batteries that are "no maintenance". In other words, if you let a battery sit in your car for two months, you will have roughly 92% of the maximum possible charge. You cannot get that 8% back. Battery Tender is your best friend (or something similar--but I am very partial to the Tender due to its cost, reliability, SAFETY, and ease of use). I have five of these guys running at all times in my garage.

The ECU is programmed a little nutty--not necessarily bad, but nutty. My fan will stay on quite often when I shut the car off but it rarely runs for more than 30 seconds. Even if the car is not running hot, it will still cool it further.

When you say the fuel pump doesn't come on are you insinuating that it doesn't pump at all... meaning it doesn't start? Or that you can't HEAR it upon power up?

I'm still going with battery. If you need to replace, don't buy a run of the mill version fron Autozone/pep boys. You will want to order one up. Heck, if you have had your car for three years anyways, you may want to order one up anywho. Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 14-07-2008, 13:28

Dan,

The battery is less than one year old, and the car has never stood still for more than 2 weeks (once 3 weeks), and I use the master switch when the car stands still for more than a week.

In my first post, I thought that it was the fuel pump that stayed on after I shut down the engine, but it is probably the water pump. 15 minutes later the fans come on, and stay on.

Today I will call the factory.

Old 14-07-2008, 15:39
Spyker Enthusiast

Maybe a problem with your thermostat?
Old 14-07-2008, 16:14

I'm bringing in the #107 to Manhattan Motor Cars

Old 14-07-2008, 21:09
Spyker Enthusiast

I hope see gets well soon!
Old 15-07-2008, 00:12