Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what would make a potential new SWB more exciting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what would make a potential new SWB more exciting?

... here we please compile a list of items which would "improve" (impossible, I know) the current C8 model in view of a future follow-up. What would you like to see, in terms of performance, handling, design, etc. What is so important that it should be kept by all means... what is not so important for you. Make sure it is different from what the Aileron is offering.

Let me make a start: for me, the manual transmission design should never be changed! And the quilted leather... or the turned aluminium dash... I would, however, like a lot more wind in the open car. Lower the front window to half that... replace the (solid) scissor doors to just a tube frame (or whatever is just about legal)... and for God's sake, keep the syringe needle like air intakes. Not sure I like the ones on the Aileron. I also wouldn't like to change the type of Harley Davidson sound of the exhaust... Design of the car body is very important to me. Any new model should have similarities, like the Aileron vs the Laviolette, but should also be clearly distiguishable to the naked eye, like the Aileron vs the Laviolette. I like the round shapes, generally...

I'll contribute. I would like Spyker to build on their credibility as a real car maker, rather than a car assembler. I would love for them (to be able) to build their own engines, while retaining the typical Spyker sound. I'm a big fan of the syringe intakes and the classic looking dash, those can stay. I like the overal design language of the Old C8, but for the new one I'd like it to be more functional and less overdesign. For instance, I am no fan of non-functional gills and louvres and what not. I also would like for Spyker to make parts out of CF so as to reduce weight, lower COG, make the car a more serious performer. finally, I'm dying for them to part from the aironautical nonsense. Sure they made planes back in the day, but not that many, not very special ones either. That company has absolutely nothing to do with today's Spyker and it was a looong time ago.

In short I'm looking for a cross between the current Spyker and McLaren.

Comment

Light weight is important to me. If that means the new SWB needs to be a bit smaller (closer to the size of a Lotus or the gorgeous Alfa Romeo Diva concept) that is fine by me. If it can really be light, a supercharged V6 could work for me too. Still need a good engine note though. I love the Spyker sound the SWB produces.

Other aspects that are important to me are the exposed gear linkage, no plastic in the interior and frame less front screen on the Spyder.

The SWB needs to be hard core. The less electronic aids, the better. The Aileron can have the gadgets, the sat nav, the audio....

I would love to see the rivets like on the Double 12 on the new SWB too.

Comment

I would turn it around. Spyker needs to build a car for a broader market share, but with the Spyker flashy-ness. 500-600 HP turbo/supercharged. Carbon brakes, F1, Automatic, full electronic nannies, nav, phone, parking sensors, 5 bolt 24" wheels, and 3500LB

Then, make opt-out options. Get the car lighter, simpler, less electronic, pure.

That way Spyker can survive, and we can have our favorite cars
        Rijk

Comment

In general I would like to see some improvement on the technical side of the new SWB models as the older ones are basically designed in 2000. The much more modern chassis of the Aileron could be shortened and used in the new SWB. The eye candy such as the allready mentioned exposed gearlinkage and the brushed aluminium dash should stay but I agree with Reddingius that the aeronautiacal theme must not be overdone. The quality of the materials as used today on the SWB models should never be compromised. With a technically better car (chassis) there could be added more power but I am not sure if that's really necessary on the SWB models (and there is the MTM / VF option of course).

I agree on the fact that the new SWB should be hardcore without driving aids as suggested by SpykerOwner and also like the even more hardcore idea of the lower frontwindow as suggested by amzamz. I think that could work but not for the majority of the SWB clients, a limited SWB Speedster would be awesome though!
          Winning on sunday, selling on monday!

Comment

I'll take Stephan's and Rijk's suggestions and mix them -- it needs an updated chassis to handle well, but to be taken seriously in the high end sports car market it needs 500 horsepower at least. Carbon brakes as an option will be checked by a good number of buyers at this price level also.

Keep your flappy paddles, I know how to drive, thanks. But unfortunately current U.S. regulations require a stability control system -- make provision for it to be fully defeatable. Not sure if you can keep the framless windscreen, or even make it lower, with the rollover regs. How they sneaked it through the first time is a mystery to me.

Boris, they probably can't do their own engine for at least another generation. But if we're dreaming, maybe make a deal with Chrisitian von Koenigsegg to provide his engines, sans turbos! Would probably make 600hp in that guise! For now I'm okay using other powertrains on a whole.

EVERYBODY loves how Spyker does interiors. Don't change much. And don't you dare put any plastic on the car anywhere that I can see. I don't care too much one way or the other on the aero theme, but it's probably unnecessary. And Boris I agree, the vents need to be functional!

But Rijk, 3500lbs!?? If they can't keep it below 3000, it's a failure in my eyes. More like 2500-2700 should be right.

Comment

A very interesting option would be to team up with Tesla. An electric Spyker! Tesla is Lotus related. Very boring body design... and an interesting engine concept. Not sure if Spyker would be as daring as a hundred years ago when they pioneered 4WD.

As for sound, a turbine like feeling would be an option. Perhaps a cleverly designed flywheel or vibrating blades (as in a clarinet or saxophone) ... Interesting for filing patents.. and really trendy.

Comment

@ Matt: I know developing their own engines isn't something they could realistically do for another ten years or so, but I do feel it should be on their 'to do list' as soon as they have adequate funds for it. As for the engines up till then, the Koenigsegg proposal sounds great! That would get my vote.

I would like an electric Spyker, but it would have to have a more futuristic design language, something like the Zagato design. Something that reflects the advanced nature of its driveline. Artificial sounds (especially aeronautically related) are a no go in my book.

Rijk, the car you propose could easily be incarnated in the likes of a D8 P2P. As for a new short wheelbase car I hope they follow the consensus of the comments above.

Comment

... ignore this, if you don't like electric engines. Otherwise, enjoy these old videos...
                  + YouTube Video
                  ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
                  ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
                  Last edited by amzamz; 29-09-2012, 13:02.

Comment

... still following the "electric trend", see this: Formula E electric car racing series is launched by FIA (source) :lol::lol::lol: Rio de Janeiro is the first city to welcome a Formula E Electric Grand Prix from 2014. (source)

Comment

... and to add a distinctive Spyker sound to the electric car, the wheels will need spokes, and the rest is explained in the video.

+ YouTube Video

As you see, the electric car project is not off the table yet. :lol:

Comment

Very helpful, I'll continue to listen in.
                        Spyker Cars on Facebook // Spyker Cars on Instagram // Me on Instagram // Spyker Cars Owners & Enthusiasts on LinkedIn // Spyker Cars on DriveTribe

Comment

Sander, The biggest issue is the roof on the spyder. You need to make it more user friendly and water proof. Needs to have +500hp. More luggage space for two people to take on a weekend trip. Paddle shift transmission is a must for future sales. I was driving last night in -1*C weather and the heater could not keep up, I'm not sure why lol. Everyone that buys a Spyker loves the details and rarity so keep that!!!

Comment

Cold air-conditioning!

Comment

Sander, I don't suppose you could disclose anything about the Aileron GT2R's status quo? Sorry about the off-topicness

Comment

Working...
                              X