Fisker Karma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fisker Karma

On June 7 I attended a showing of the upcoming Fisker Karma at Fields Infiniti in Glencoe, Illinois, not far from my home. Fisker is on a tour presenting the Karma at each of the dealers who have signed on. We had a chance to get up close to and sit in the Karma, and talk with Fisker representatives.

The Fisker is a quite striking car, and looks even more sensual in real life, if that is the right word! However I did not think the door closed in a manner befitting an $80,000 car (or whatever they are going to be), although to be fair this was a preproduction car. The trunk is very small to my eyes, although they did have two golf bags in there, but that must have been a real trick. The interior is a bit "cozy", however very well done. As with a low roofline the view out is compromised (the view out the back in particular was worse than some Lotuses I have been in), but I did not have any headroom issues, and I am quite tall. But no dead pedal! I thought that was hard to believe in a car of this caliber. The hood was not open, so for all I know it did not even have an engine in it! It is entirely possible that this was the same car I saw displayed at the Chicago Auto Show back in February.

I asked the Fisker rep when he expected production cars to be available, and he said first or second quarter of next year. I was sure I had heard previously that the Karma was to be ready by this fall. But considering Mr Fisker is starting a completely new car company, some delays are to be expected. No matter, I guess, they will probably sell every one they can build for the first year or so, at least.

This particular Karma did not have a VIN displayed in the windshield, in fact no VIN plate at all there, which must have led me to conclude that it was VIN-less, because it wasn't until after I had left that it occurred to me that I didn't even bother checking the door jambs! Some car spotter I am! Oh well.
    Attached Files

Interesting! Looks like they have lots of engineering left to do.. All in all, did the car live up to your expectations? Btw I believe the Distinctive collection in Calgary will be selling both Spykers and Karmas .
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do

Comment

IVR, you are right about the Distinctive Collection selling both Spyker and Fisker!

Comment

Originally posted by IVR007 View Post
        All in all, did the car live up to your expectations?
        Well, yes and no. It certainly is a pretty car (despite the Joker-mouth grille), and the interior is definitely appropriate for a car of this caliber. But I was expecting this particular car to at least have a VIN of some sort; the fact that it did not leads me to conclude that it wasn't even a runner. Look at the fact that the start of production has been pushed back a second time, and you can conclude that building a car with this technology is hard enough even for GM (see the Volt), and Fisker is most certainly not GM.

Having said that, I don't think I would have too many concerns about build quality once production does commence, since it is going to be built by Valmet in Finland (who currently builds the Boxster/Cayman). I think if I had the money to consider one I would wait out the first six months of sales to be sure the technology works. But if you are going to spend that kind of money, there are many other fine cars available at that price by car companies with a lot more experience.

But no matter, I suppose. Like I said, they will sell every one they can build initially, based on the looks of the car alone, and from those who have the need to make a 'green' statement. Let's face it; a Prius is more about "Look at me! I care about the Earth!" than actual fuel mileage. A diesel VW will trump it every time.

Comment

Looks like that same car is now in Paris
          Paris 2010: First factory-built Fisker Karma hits the stage — Autoblog

Comment

That has to be a different car. Because the car shown in Paris is the first factory built car and it is the first time they show it to the public.

Anticipation and excitement has grown at Fisker Automotive and with the general public wanting to see the production Karma. Today, Fisker Automotive unveiled the first factory built luxury plug-in Karma at the Paris Motor Show.
            The car Matt was propably just a pre-production car of prototype. And that might also be the reason why it didn't have a VIN

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Jaguar View Post
              That has to be a different car. Because the car shown in Paris is the first factory built car and it is the first time they show it to the public.

The car Matt was propably just a pre-production car of prototype. And that might also be the reason why it didn't have a VIN
              I think so, yes. The Paris show car appears to have a VIN plate.

Also interesting, "fuel filler" doors on both sides.
              Attached Files

Comment

I like it but also not fond of the smiling front grill.

Comment

There is a Fisker at the Amsterdam AutoRai. I have to admit I wasn't very impressed by the looks of this car IRL. Fisker has worked on better looking cars imho. I wasn't able to take a picture of the VIN but if I recall correctly it ended with 'XXXX04', is that possible? Does this mean it's a production car?

Comment

Could very well be a "preproduction" or press car. At least the car you saw had a VIN of some sort. The funny thing is that Fisker has been saying for some time now that production has started, yet they are saying now that dealers won't have their demos until May, with customer deliveries to begin not until June or July.

Comment

Have you seen the trunk? There is just enough room for your toothbrush.

Comment

Of course, Fisker is only allowing electric toothbrushes in their cars.

Jaguar, did you guys from autoblog got to see some more interesting fenced cars? Like the Cygnet for example?

Comment

Working...
                        X