Round 4 - 2010: 1000 km of Hungaroring - 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round 4 - 2010: 1000 km of Hungaroring - 2010

Another novelty for Le Mans Series: Hungary. The race, which will be held over two days, will be the seasons' second night race.

The Hungaroring circuit, 19 km from Budapest, is nicknamed "the Turnstile". Measuring 4.381 km, it is very narrow and winding. Built along a natural valley and flinking the hillsiedes, its natural implantation allows an 80% visibility of the circuit for practically all the spectators, wherever they may be.

It will be a first for the teams who will discover during this nocturnal race, life...."by night" in Hungary!

The race will be held this weekend And I wish the Spyker Squadron all the luck they need/want.

And the press release

SPYKER SQUADRON HUNG(A)RY FOR NEW CHALLENGE

BUDAPEST, August 19, 2010 - Spyker Squadron will venture into unknown territories this weekend as it takes part in the fourth round of the 2010 Le Mans Series season. The team has travelled to Budapest for the 1000 KM race on the Hungaroring Formula 1 circuit.

The twisty, narrow and bumpy circuit just outside the Hungarian capital will host a Le Mans Series round for the first time in its existence. The drivers will have to tackle sixteen corners on the 4.381 km / 2.722 mi long circuit, that was purpose-built for Formula 1 and opened back in 1986. The fact that the race will finish at night makes it even more interesting for the teams

As the race will be held in August the team will prepare for a hot and dry race weekend in Central Europe. Tom Coronel, back with Spyker Squadron for the first time after the 24 Hours of Le Mans, has already raced at the Hungaroring before, but Peter Dumbreck and the Spyker Squadron team have not. The team will therefore use the practice sessions to get to grips with the circuit and to work on the set-up of the car.

On Saturday there will be three free practice sessions on the Hungaroring. On Sunday morning the teams will go out for qualifying, followed by a warm-up session and the race The race will start at 4 p.m. and will finish no later than 10 p.m. Eurosport will show the last 30 minutes of the race live around Europe

Peter van Erp, Managing Director Spyker Squadron: “It is the first time the series visits this circuit so for the team and the drivers there is a challenge ahead to find the right set-up in the three practice sessions. We will have to concentrate on creating a car that will do well over a stint.”

About Spyker Squadron

Spyker Squadron was founded in 2001 to underwrite the performance of the highly exclusive hand-build Spyker sports cars. Spyker Squadron is a dedicated team consisting of engineers, drivers and supporting personnel that develops, builds and supports the Spyker GT2 race cars. The team is based in Zeewolde, the Netherlands, where it has a high-tech workshop to support its operations.

For more Spyker Squadron updates do not forget to drop by our VIMEO and TWITTER pages which we will be updating regularly.
    Timetable, Live TV & TV schedule:
    Timetable: Le Mans Series // Site officiel des 24 Heures du Mans
    Eurosport TV Schedule: tv.eurosport.com/tvschedule.shtml
    Spyker Squadron on the Web and Social Media:
    www: Home Squadron | Spykercars
    Flickr: Flickr: Spyker Squadron's Photostream
    Vimeo: Spyker Squadron on Vimeo
    Twitter: Spyker Squadron (spykersquadron) on Twitter
    Facebook: Spyker Squadron | Facebook
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do

Comment

7th in first free practice session

Comment

I love the red and black livery! Looks great.

Good luck, Squadron!
        With Tenacity, No Roof Is Impossible

Comment

We had a clutch related problem in the second session. We were 6th before the problem and we are 10th now. But the problem has been fixed.

Third free session will start at 8:30 CET

Comment

8th at the moment in third practice session.

Comment

On board lap

+ YouTube Video
              ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Comment

New press release:
                SPYKER SQUADRON UPBEAT AFTER BUDAPEST QUALIFYING

Budapest, August 22, 2010 - Spyker Squadron is full of confidence and fully prepared for today’s 1000 KM of the Hungaroring. After three practice sessions on Saturday Tom Coronel was only just over a second behind the pole position in qualifying this morning. The Spyker C8 Laviolette GT2R will therefore start from eleventh on the grid.

2010 Spyker Squadron Hungaroring LMS Qualification from Spyker Squadron on Vimeo.

On Saturday the Spyker Squadron team worked hard to get the set-up of the car right for the 4.381 km long Hungaroring circuit. The straights and slow corners were giving the brakes and tires a very hard time and the team did everything possible to create the best possible set-up for the car. The gathered information and changes in set-up resulted in a lap time in qualifying on Sunday that was over half a second quicker than the fastest time on Saturday and only a few tenths clear of the front of the GT2 grid. The team will now prepare the car for the 1000 KM of the Hungaroring which starts at four o’clock this afternoon.

Tom Coronel: “I think qualifying went fine. I had a flawless lap, no mistakes, no problems at all. The car felt really strong and I positioned it on the track where I wanted it. I asked the mechanics before the session “What if we set a 1:47.8?”. Their response resulted in me having a good feeling afterwards. The time is good, it is so close to each other, if you find a few tenths you are up a few places. I am confident for the race. Everybody is in a good vibe, it feels strong. At the beginning of the race our pace will be ok and if we don’t have any failures or whatsoever we could get a good result.

The set-up was a slight guess. We made a couple of set-ups before the weekend. One set-up Peter was more confident with and I was more confident with another set-up. For qualifying we made the car quite stiff and we got it on the track in the right spot, so as for the set-up I am really satisfied. We made the right choice at the right time.”

Peter van Erp, Managing Director Spyker Squadron: “Eleventh place. The car was perfect and it was all the car could do at this moment. We are only a few tenths of a second behind the top cars. We have to be smart and sneaky during the race, aggressive during the pit stops, aggressive on our in- and out laps. I hope we can win some time on that. Maybe we will have some luck during the safety car periods, we will certainly get a few, but that is always a lottery. Without evolutions and testing this is just it. Fortunately we have made a lot of progress during the weekend. Tom was really satisfied with the car. The lay-out of the track however causes the tires to have more drop-off as they don’t have time to rest, but I have already heard that more GT2 teams have this problem. Hopefully we can limit it during the race. Whatever happens we will do our best to get a good result, we will just fight for it!”

Also take a look at our VIMEO page where you will find Spyker Squadron videos from the Hungaroring. These include an on-board lap with Tom Coronel around the Hungaroring circuit and a recap of what has happened up until this very moment.

About Spyker Squadron
                Spyker Squadron was founded in 2001 to underwrite the performance of the highly exclusive hand-build Spyker sports cars. Spyker Squadron is a dedicated team consisting of engineers, drivers and supporting personnel that develops, builds and supports the Spyker GT2 race cars. The team is based in Zeewolde, the Netherlands, where it has a high-tech workshop to support its operations.
                For more Spyker Squadron updates do not forget to drop by our VIMEO and TWITTER pages which we will be updating regularly.
                Timetable, Live TV & TV schedule:
                Timetable: Le Mans Series // Site officiel des 24 Heures du Mans
                Eurosport TV Schedule: tv.eurosport.com/tvschedule.shtml
                Spyker Squadron on the Web and Social Media:
                www: Home Squadron | Spykercars
                Flickr: Flickr: Spyker Squadron's Photostream
                Vimeo: Spyker Squadron on Vimeo
                Twitter: Spyker Squadron (spykersquadron) on Twitter
                Facebook: Spyker Squadron | Facebook
                The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do

Comment

Qualification

+ YouTube Video
                  ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Comment

Race has started. We are in 9th position with Coronel behind the wheel.

Comment

We're back in 11th but number 88 and 89 are under investigation (overtaking under yellow). And those two are the ones directly in front of our Spyker.

Comment

We in 10th spot now

Comment

Time for the first pit stops. We haven't been in yet and we are in 7th spot.

Comment

Tom has received the Pit in sign.

Comment

We're pitting now.

Comment

Working...
                              X