Spyker in the New York Times...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spyker in the New York Times...

Interesting article...got a kick out of his driving impressions in fifth bullet below:lol:

December 15, 2009, 1:22 pm
    Spyker, Saab’s New Supercar Suitor?
    By NICK KURCZEWSKI
    On Sunday, General Motors announced that Beijing Automotive Industry Holding had purchased the tooling and engineering rights to the Saab 9-3 and 9-5. Among the questions raised by the deal is whether G.M. plans to simply parcel off the most valuable pieces of the Saab brand. If so, several reports suggest Spyker Cars, a boutique Dutch company specializing in supercars, is the frontrunner for what remains.

Spyker, Saab’s New Supercar Suitor? - Wheels Blog - NYTimes.com
    Armando Arorizo/Bloomberg

Victor Muller, chief executive of Spyker, at the 2009 Los Angeles auto show.
    It is the second time Saab has been linked to a small supercar company. In June, G.M. signed off on a deal to sell Saab to Koenigsegg, a little-known Swedish company with around 45 employees. But the agreement fell apart last month, and Saab was given a reprieve until year’s end to find another suitor or risk liquidation.

Enter Spyker. It may seem audacious for an automaker to try to acquire another one many times its size. Saab sold 93,300 units in 2008, while Spyker sells about 40-50 cars annually. But the Dutch company has strong financial backing, and as proved by its 2007 foray into Formula One, it is unafraid of bold moves.

Here’s a closer look at the small company with big dreams:

• Spyker Cars came to the world’s attention in 2000, when its founder and chief executive, Victor Muller, revived the long-forgotten Dutch nameplate. The original company began making cars in 1898 and went bust in the 1920s despite having built the first production car equipped with a six-cylinder engine, permanent four-wheel drive and four-wheel brakes.

• Today’s Spyker’s cars are powered by Audi-sourced V-8 or W-12 engines. But the cars are best known for their over-the-top design, including chrome air intakes, visible rivets on the body panels, jewel-like interior finishing and an exposed gear-shift linkage.

• With six models to choose from, Spyker actually has a wider vehicle lineup than Saab. Spyker’s range includes the C8 Aileron, the C8 Spyder SWB (short wheelbase), the C8 Laviolette LWB and SWB, the C12 Zagato and the D8 Peking-to-Paris S.U.V. Saab’s lineup includes the 9-3 and 9-5 sedans, along with SportCombi station wagon versions of the same.

• A base Saab 9-3 sports sedan starts at $30,360. A bargain-basement Spyker C8 Spyder SWB will set you back slightly more. Budget around $225,000 (minus options) to put a Spyker in your garage, according to a salesperson with Manhattan Motorcars.

• The flamboyant Spyker C8 is a head turner, but driving one can lead to more than a crick in the neck of an onlooker. During my time behind the wheel, the exposed gate of the six-speed manual gearbox proved as awkward to use as it was stunning to look at. Shifts were balky, and the position of the polished metal gear-lever proved uncomfortable after only a few minutes driving on the roads surrounding Spyker’s (former) factory in Zeewolde, roughly 30 miles east of Amsterdam.

• In a move that doesn’t bode well for tackling Saab’s troubles, Spyker is cutting its own costs by transferring production from its base in the Netherlands to Coventry, England. “In these challenging times, a small manufacturer like Spyker has to find ways to reduce costs as well as improve its efficiency,” said Mr. Muller. The company reports that out of 135 Netherlands-based employees, 45 positions will be “directly affected” by the move to Britain.

• Spyker frequently touts that it is publicly listed on the N.Y.S.E. Euronext Amsterdam. But one of the company’s main backers, the Russian bank Convers Group, has an image certain to get shareholders squirming. Convers Group “is controlled by Alexander Antonov, a Russian tycoon who was shot seven times and reportedly lost a finger in a failed assassination attempt in Moscow in March,” The New York Times reported. Vladimir Antonov, his son, is an executive at Convers and chairman of Spyker.

Originally posted by Swisstrader View Post
    Interesting article...got a kick out of his driving impressions in fifth bullet below:lol:
    Another person suitable only for a slushbox
    Rijk

Comment

Originally posted by F Spider View Post
      Another person suitable only for a slushbox
      Here's the one I really didn't get:

"the position of the polished metal gear-lever proved uncomfortable after only a few minutes driving on the roads"

a) first time I've ever heard that comment and b) how untrue

Comment

Google news

... in Google news, the headline reads
        "With six models to choose from, Spyker actually has a wider vehicle lineup than Saab. "

Attached Files
        Last edited by amzamz; 16-12-2009, 18:02.

Comment

Dude should learn to drive, not advertise his inability to do so. :lol:
          With Tenacity, No Roof Is Impossible

Comment

I Like the Seventh Bullet, no pun intended..

Spyker frequently touts that it is publicly listed on the N.Y.S.E. Euronext Amsterdam. But one of the company’s main backers, the Russian bank Convers Group, has an image certain to get shareholders squirming. Convers Group “is controlled by Alexander Antonov, a Russian tycoon who was shot seven times and reportedly lost a finger in a failed assassination attempt in Moscow in March,” The New York Times reported. Vladimir Antonov, his son, is an executive at Convers and chairman of Spyker.

Comment

I think the author is a slushbox.

Comment

Originally posted by Basokolow View Post
                I think the author is a slushbox.
                LOL! Definition of a slushbox from the Urban Dictionary...guy seems to fit definition number 4:

1. slushbox - term for a vehicle equipped with an automatic transmission.
                Did you see that ricer Civic with the slushbox? He was letting off the gas every time it shifted to make it look like he was driving a stick.

2. slushbox - slang term for an automatic transmission, possibly because the transmission connects the engine to the drive shaft using a fluid instead of a solid plate
                Why would you get a sports car with a slushbox? They shouldn't even sell them without a stick shift.
                cars transmission stick shift manual transmission automatic transmission

3. slushbox - A five-sided cuboid space that holds or collects a seemingly random assortment of uncontained resources intended for future alchemical use.
                The pile on the right is for donations and the pile on the left goes in the slushbox.

4. slushbox - Slang for uncool. The opposite of clutch. Often used as a derogatory term.
                Man, did you see that guy; what a slushbox.

Comment

The flamboyant Spyker C8 is a head turner, but driving one can lead to more than a crick in the neck of an onlooker. During my time behind the wheel, the exposed gate of the six-speed manual gearbox proved as awkward to use as it was stunning to look at. Shifts were balky, and the position of the polished metal gear-lever proved uncomfortable after only a few minutes driving on the roads surrounding Spyker’s (former) factory in Zeewolde, roughly 30 miles east of Amsterdam.
                  Um, What? The gear box in Spyker' are among the easiest to use among any high performance car.

Comment

Originally posted by jpclinging View Post
                    Um, What? The gear box in Spyker' are among the easiest to use among any high performance car.
                    I totally agree with you. On the other hand: if one has the opinion the perfect, easy to use, most beautiful gear shift in the world is the worst part of the car, the rest must be on an extraordinary level

Comment

Originally posted by jpclinging View Post
                      I haven't driven a stick in about 5-7 years...picked up my Spyker, hit the ignition switch, threw it into first and drove off...could not have been any easier.

I was initially intimidated by what I saw, but just like everything else about the car: EASY!

Comment

Mystifying. As I always say, next time try using the clutch. Oh, and engaging reverse will be a bit balky if you don't push the #$%&!@ button first.

Comment

Originally posted by Basokolow View Post
                          Mystifying. As I always say, next time try using the clutch. Oh, and engaging reverse will be a bit balky if you don't push the #$%&!@ button first.
                          HaHaHaHaHa
                          Rijk

Comment

Working...
                          X