No announcement yet.

Help me choose a new car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The visit to Morgan was a dud. There is no way that I can drive that car. At 6'2"(1.86m) and 220LB (100kg) is is hard to get in and impossible to get a good driving position.

It is a shame, because I had high hopes for the Aero 8. Finally Morgan designed a top that was relatively easy to erect with one person, so the car could be functioning as a daily driver, while maintaining the purity of driving.
    Rijk

Comment

To me the top 2 for Rijk is:
      Aston Martin V8 Vantage
      Lotus Elise / Exige S

I was more than pleasantly surprised about the Aston. Never would have thought I would say the Aston Martin is more desirable than a Maserati GranTurismo. But to me is.

And for those who don't know me yet: I am a huge Maser fan.

Comment

Originally posted by F Spider View Post
        The visit to Morgan was a dud. There is no way that I can drive that car. At 6'2"(1.86m) and 220LB (100kg) is is hard to get in and impossible to get a good driving position.

It is a shame, because I had high hopes for the Aero 8. Finally Morgan designed a top that was relatively easy to erect with one person, so the car could be functioning as a daily driver, while maintaining the purity of driving.
        Did you look at the Aero 8 or the Aero 8 America - the latter having more interior room.

Also did you look at the Aero Max? (albei it's a coupe)

(Not that I'd want to talk you out of an Aston)

Comment

Kevin,

We have seen an Aero 8, and not the Aero 8 America.

The biggest problem is that there is no space to put your right elbow when you are driving with the side windows up. My elbow wands to be where the door lock mechanism bulges out the door. So, the windows have to be down, and your arm must rest on top of the door. This makes the car impossible as a daily driver (in the Netherlands).

Do you know if that gets addressed in the America version?

For the rest, the door opening is rather short and if you're not skinny and of medium height () it is hard to move your legs in and out. But, if that would be the only problem, I could easily live with that (it is still easier than the Elise/Exige).
          Rijk

Comment

Hans,

The Aston Martin is beautiful, but almost 50% more expensive than what I wanted to spend.

Moreover, for that money I could decide NOT to trade in my Ferrari 360 Spider when the 430 Spider arrives in April, and ship the 360 Spider over to the Netherlands.

On the scale as to what car is acceptable to our clients, the Aston Martin comes pretty close to the Ferrari. Not quite the same stigma, but maybe close enough to say: I'm just driving what I like.

I think that when you compare the AM to the Ferrari, the Ferrari is the much better enthusiast car. Coming Wednesday I'm trying to get a test drive in the Vantage to see which is better. Stay tuned.
            Rijk

Comment

On the scale as to what car is acceptable to our clients, the Aston Martin comes pretty close to the Ferrari.
              I disagree on that point. I think clients will accept you driving an Aston Martin a lot easier than when you arrive in a Ferrari. Even when you buy a relatively cheap 308 most of the times it won't be accepted in NL. Just because it is a Ferrari.

Comment

Kevin,

We have seen an Aero 8, and not the Aero 8 America.

The biggest problem is that there is no space to put your right elbow when you are driving with the side windows up. My elbow wands to be where the door lock mechanism bulges out the door. So, the windows have to be down, and your arm must rest on top of the door. This makes the car impossible as a daily driver (in the Netherlands).

Do you know if that gets addressed in the America version?

For the rest, the door opening is rather short and if you're not skinny and of medium height () it is hard to move your legs in and out. But, if that would be the only problem, I could easily live with that (it is still easier than the Elise/Exige).
                This is what Carpages.ca says :

"Another important improvement that was made to the Aero 8 for 2005 was the size and roominess of its interior. Best described as cozy, the hand-crafted cabin of the two-seater was criticized for tight footwells and a narrow interior width due to the cockpit's inwardly recessed position within the bodyshell.

Morgan has addressed these complaints by widening the interior at two critical points: the scuttle (windshield base) is now 102 mm (4.0 in) larger which adds an additional 152 mm (6.0 in) in shoulder width.

The Aero 8's lavish standard specifications list has been added to for the new model year. (Photo: Morgan Motor Company)
                The wider cabin is accompanied by a more commodious trunk and a redesigned instrument panel, which now incorporates a tire-pressure warning system."

Comment

To be honest - though I'd personally love to have an Aston; I think the Morgan would be a great choice. I think it would be easier to live with as an everyday car compared to the Exige - and Morgans are in the main seen as quaint cars which don't cause jealousy in people

Comment

Kevin,

This was a new 2007 Morgan with the raised trunk, so I wonder how tight it was before
                    Rijk

Comment

Donkervoort?
                      Winning on sunday, selling on monday!

Comment

How about a nice second hand BMW Z8? In my opinion that's a beautifully stylisch car, though it's rather a hate/love object.

Or perhaps a Jaguar XKR?

Finally you could also go bazurk and get yourself a well kept or -restaured Citroen SM, how about that for style huh?

Comment

Given the budget and what you intend to use it for I would go with either a Porsche (pick your poison... anything above a Cayman S is doable) or a Maseratti. Just stay away from the Quattroporte. I want to run mine into a wall. If you liked the S200 and found the Elise to be be quite a bit more "fun" you are right in line with me. I have had both and enjoyed them both for different reasons. The Cayman S (I borrowed one for a month or so) is truly a fun car for the money. Great daily driver and handled wonderfully. No convertible yet but a great care nonetheless.

Comment

Porsche seems to be an obvious choice, but than I would like to get a GT3 for the pure driving experience. I might even give up my drop-top requirement for that.

A GT3-RS would be the best, but than you are back up to $150K MSRP. However, the current market price seems to be around $200K, and I refuse to pay a premium for any car.
                            Rijk

Comment

Besides, wouldn't your clients find your GT3 RS a bit vulgair?

Couldn't a Wiesmann MF3 be an original option?

Comment

Originally posted by Reddingius View Post
                                Couldn't a Wiesmann MF3 be an original option?
                                I love the Wiesmann. However, I don't think they are selling that car in the US. That would make that car 40% more expensive.
                                Rijk

Comment

Working...
                                X