Wasbenzine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wasbenzine

My carpets are dirty with greasy spots. According to Ellermeijer, the leather and carpet manufacturer for Spyker, I can best use "Wasbenzine", but I don't have a good translation into English. Is "White Spirit" correct? And that doesn't seem to be too easy to get.
    Rijk

White spirit = Terpentine

Comment

@amzamz: Rijk is looking for the English term for Reinigungsbenzin

Comment

Originally posted by SpykerOwner View Post
        @amzamz: Rijk is looking for the English term for Reinigungsbenzin
        I think the German term is Waschbenzin.
        Rijk

Comment

Comment

Thanks. Three languages and still no English. You would think hat they would add the fouth language on a label like that
            Rijk

Comment

White Spirit (which is distilled from petrol) is not the same as Turpentine (which comes from a tree). The first is a solvent and is good for cleaning paint brushes etc while Turpentine is used more by artists for paint thinning etc and I would not use it near a carpet... White Spirit is easy to get in the UK, not sure about US, but try a hardware store. Looking at the above bottle I doubt it is white spirit as I have never seen that used as cleaning fluid for clothes. That bottle looks like what a dry cleaner may use... dangerous stuff especially if it really has benzine in it which is carcinogenic....

Why not just try various solvents starting with nail varnish remover (but put it back afterwards!), petrol, paint thinners etc.

Comment

Translation: Benzene.

Highly flammable. Toxic fumes.

Actually, very unsafe, if you read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzene

(Scroll down to Health Effects.)
                With Tenacity, No Roof Is Impossible

Comment

Originally posted by F Spider View Post
                  ... Three languages and still no English. You would think hat they would add the fouth language on a label like that
                  ... you know, English is a minority language in Europe! We need to preserve it ; we even made 2 islands for its protection (UK and Ireland)!

Comment

Originally posted by OnTheLam View Post
                    Translation: Benzene.
                    Highly flammable. Toxic fumes.
                    ... like mrobin33, I don't think a literal translation helps here. It is 100percent NOT benzene, as this is a banned solvent of the distant past. It is a mixture of not specified organic carbohydrates:

"Gemisch von n-, i- und cyclo-Aliphaten, überwiegend im Bereich C7-C8, Hexan-arm" (source) which means, it is a mixture of n aliphatic (linear), iso aliphatic (branched) and cyclo aliphatic molecules, mostly 7-8 Carbon atoms long, and low in hexane (6 Carbons). The spec sheet also says that it contains less than 0.1percent benzene, and is not considered carcinogenic. It doesn't seem to contain much aromatic hydrocarbons, as this is not specified.

It looks to me that "white spirit" gets closest to the above definition. However, it is defined as "It is a mixture of aliphatic and alicyclic C7 to C12 hydrocarbons with a maximum content of 25percent of C7 to C12 aromatic hydrocarbons" (source) which is not exactly identical to the above... it will be less volatile, less flammable, and different in its behaviour as a solvent. Perhaps it is much better in dissolving polymers, be careful!
                    Last edited by amzamz; 22-02-2012, 08:18.

Comment

Shouldn't this just do the trick?

Comment

Originally posted by amzamz View Post
                        ... like mrobin33, I don't think a literal translation helps here. It is 100percent NOT benzene, as this is a banned solvent of the distant past. It is a mixture of not specified organic carbohydrates:

"Gemisch von n-, i- und cyclo-Aliphaten, überwiegend im Bereich C7-C8, Hexan-arm" (source) which means, it is a mixture of n aliphatic (linear), iso aliphatic (branched) and cyclo aliphatic molecules, mostly 7-8 Carbon atoms long, and low in hexane (6 Carbons). The spec sheet also says that it contains less than 0.1percent benzene, and is not considered carcinogenic. It doesn't seem to contain much aromatic hydrocarbons, as this is not specified.

It looks to me that "white spirit" gets closest to the above definition. However, it is defined as "It is a mixture of aliphatic and alicyclic C7 to C12 hydrocarbons with a maximum content of 25percent of C7 to C12 aromatic hydrocarbons" (source) which is not exactly identical to the above... it will be less volatile, less flammable, and different in its behaviour as a solvent. Perhaps it is much better in dissolving polymers, be careful!
                        Thank goodness we have a proper chemist amongst us to help cross those illogical and arbitrary language barriers, where "X" means "not-X"! :lol:
                        With Tenacity, No Roof Is Impossible

Comment

Working...
                        X