...interested in Progressive Rock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ...interested in Progressive Rock?

... there is an excellent commentary on Prog Rock here. Its past, and the role in the present. By George Varga.

"It also seemed, at its best, to have a connection to something mystical, which was completely intoxicating. Nowadays, a lot of the allure of prog rock for me is sentimental and nostalgic — I can't help enjoying hearing a song which blew my mind when I was a teenager. But the best of it can still enthrall me on its own merits, if there's something harmonically, rhythmically or texturally stimulating about it." Mike Keneally

"I must shamefacedly admit that I hardly keep up with any of the current artists because I'm still trying to catch up with music I wanted to hear 30 and 40 years ago and never got around to,..." Mike Keneally

I just attended the Loreley "Night of the Prog" 2-days festival, and there would be a nostalgic lineup at the "Yestival" at Susquehanna Bank Center, Camden, NJ with the bands Yes and Renaissance (Aug 3, 2013).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by amzamz; 17-07-2013, 03:41.

Funny how much we have in common, Amzamz. Yes was always my favorite band back in the 70s!

And I listened to Renaissance, too, back then.
    With Tenacity, No Roof Is Impossible

Comment

I say Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman and Howe

Comment

Yes is touring these days, performing three whole albums. I saw the show at the Warfield. I wasn't sure what the current band would be like with Jon Davison on vocals -- but the band was vibrant, truly excellent. They put on a fabulous show.

That was the second show of the tour . . . since then they've added date after date, playing South America as well as the US. They are headed for Europe next year, I think. Catch them if you can, they are still playing at a very high level. If you loved them then, you'd love them now.

Comment

... yes, Yes, they are on my radar: Luxembourg in May 2015.

Also Rick Wakeman, London in April 2014. With symphonic orchestra at the Royal Albert Hall...

Do you know bands like Anima Mundi or Anglagard?

Comment

Not those, but I'd love to check them out.

Comment

... examples: Anima Mundi (Cuba , live in the Netherlands)
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkDo_AxbzAk
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUcHDDZSxZc

... and: Anglagard (Sweden, live in Germany)
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtlKTFx7Vz0
              Last edited by amzamz; 18-07-2013, 16:46.

Comment

I caught the Yes bug when I was in college around the time of ABWH. Blew my mind, had never heard music like it before!

Attended the Union tour with 8 members onstage (twice), which was a real treat. Also caught the 35th Anniversary tour which was oustanding.

On our first date I mentioned to my wife that I liked Yes, and she said she did also. I figured she was faking it, because she's simply too young. But no! She knew all the songs, courtesy of her father. We had tickets to the 40th Anniversary tour when it got cancelled due to Jon Anderson's illness.

So we held off on all the tours, hoping someday they'd get back together, but no. So finally early this year we decided to go see the current tour, playing the three complete albums. It was fantastic! I'm still not sold on another guy singing Jon's part, and I love Rick, but what are you gonna do? Who knows how much longer they'll be doing this? In any case hearing Steve play "Clap" live would have been worth the price of admission alone.

Comment

... see this. There is some truth in it!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X