Rosetta: a ten year's journey to a comet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rosetta: a ten year's journey to a comet

... I am sure you've seen some of these shots. The satellite Rosetta has taken close-ups of the comet 67P / Churyumov–Gerasimenko. If you treat some of the latest ones with brightness / contrast, you can even see some jets! I guess there is more to come ...
    Attached Files

... photos now look even more dramatic. The first one is taken off the web, the second (three of four) I manipulated a bit, as I would use false colour to visualize effects in my research.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by amzamz; 13-02-2015, 17:40.

Comment

Unreal
      Rijk

Comment

Originally posted by amzamz View Post
        ... photos now look even more dramatic. The first one is taken off the web, the second (three of four) I manipulated a bit, as I would use false colour to visualize effects in my research.
        Guess I won't be seeing 67P / Churyumov–Gerasimenko through my little instrument:
        Attached Files
        Scott

Comment

Space Imaging Technology

Originally posted by amzamz View Post
          Here is a very simple presentation that describes space imaging technology, specifically for a sensor imagining device called VIIRS. I worked on VIIRS for 11 to 17 hours a day and it was fraught with problems. In fact, the VIIRS program manager at Hughes Aircraft Company worked on it every day for over two years without a single day off. He even worked on Christmas! Technical problems with the coatings on the mirrors in the imaging system were never ending. After years of development, the sensor is now functioning in space. Enjoy!

http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/proj...agery_Data.pdf
          Scott

Comment

Interesting, Scott! Some aspects of the image processing reminds me of one of my activities: (intravital) fluorescence imaging.
            The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do

Comment

Originally posted by IVR007 View Post
              Interesting, Scott! Some aspects of the image processing reminds me of one of my activities: (intravital) fluorescence imaging.
              Hi IVR007,

Please tell me more about what you image. The biological nature of your business sounds much more interesting than the aerospace programs I worked on for 41 years!
              Scott

Comment

Have you heard also about the New Horizons project? It was launched in 2006 towards Pluto, and will be finally arriving this summer, July to be precise:

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/index.php

That's a long damn way away! But eager to see first-ever photos of this planet. Yes, to me it's still a planet.

Comment

... I am waiting for Pluto, too. And also for Ceres! The satellite "Dawn" will be there at around March 6th, 2015!

Comment

Working...
                  X