Spyker C8 Spyder Battery Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spyker C8 Spyder Battery Question

Hi, I currently have a Interstate MTP91 battery in my Spyker C8 Spyder. I'm looking to replace the battery with a smaller battery or one of comparable size with more power. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thank you!

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Not sure which brand battery the Spykers originally are equipped with but I think a Varta battery. Anyway, the specs should be: 75Ah/720A(EN), ETN 575121072 or equal, p/n 0061400010

Can you maybe tell which Spyker you have?
    Last edited by Laviolette GT2R; 17-07-2017, 17:15.
    Winning on sunday, selling on monday!

Comment

The MTP91 is the correct battery for US cars. It only needs a different clamp to secure the different foot. The Spyker is very sensitive to to the battery "fresness". Often small electric glitches go away with a new battery, even when the battery seems OK.
      Rijk

Comment

The MTP 91 is no longer manufactured. Anyone has any other suggestion? The interstate suggested replacement one is half an inch too tall.

Comment

Did you find a battery that works instead of the MTP91? My battery has failed (about 4 yrs old) so need to replace

Comment

Working on that.
            Rijk

Comment

Thanks - seen a few suggestions on other forums (fora?) - Porsche etc but need to check size will fit by taking the old one out and measuring the space; when I get a chance. In the meantime I can start it once if it's been on the charger for a while and make sure I don't stop again before getting home!

Comment

Originally posted by mrobin33 View Post
                Thanks - seen a few suggestions on other forums (fora?) - Porsche etc but need to check size will fit by taking the old one out and measuring the space; when I get a chance. In the meantime I can start it once if it's been on the charger for a while and make sure I don't stop again before getting home!
                Battery is out and so unable to drive car now! Having trouble finding a replacement small enough with the same spec. May have to compromise. Does the factory have an opinion? Needs to be max 275mmx175mmx175mm to fit nicely.
                Last edited by mrobin33; 01-09-2017, 16:55.

Comment

Chris says that the replacement is the Interstate MTP-48(H6). The width and the length are the same as the MTP-91, but it is half an inch higher. I haven't been able to test if that works.

Matthew, since you have the battery out, can you check that?
                  Rijk

Comment

Work in progress. I got an H6 myself after researching all about BCI vs. DIN battery sizes and measuring the space every which way. By my calculation the higher H6 size (7.5" not 7") will just fit the space. HOWEVER - the problem is getting it in as it has to be angled forward, slid back and down into its place. There is no room for that manoevre without removing a couple of bolts that clamp the steering rack to the chassis. I did that and managed to squeeze it in so now the battery is sitting in its box but I am not completely happy it is level as it still touches the chassis frame. I will try some more fiddling before I put it all back together again, and report back.

If I am unhappy it does not sit right I will have to get a smaller size battery even though it has a lower capacity than recommended - not ideal either. Also note that the H6 is 5Kg heavier than the original MTP-91 too so I will need to diet or run with less fuel.

Picture shows one of the bolts you need to remove - one similar the other side.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Ok after another couple hours skinning knuckles it's clear the H6 size will NOT fit. The extra half inch height means it cannot sit low enough to get the cover on, which needs to slot under the chassis rail and over the battery.

I still need to find a smaller battery that fits AND has a similar rating to the original. BIll Rice has fitted a small interstate mega tron II which he says works fine but is lower rated and a wet battery. I'd rather have a gel battery of 700 cca like the original. Be good if the factory had a view on this!

Comment

That sucks
                        Rijk

Comment

Ok - managed to find a Size 90/T5 battery at the local Advanced Auto Parts store. They were very helpful in lining up various batteries for detailed measurement and comparison - seems not all batteries are the size they say online, so physical measuring was useful! They also took back the larger one I ordered online.

Their own brand Autocraft Gold 90-T5 is well within size, and has the terminals in the right place. It's not a gel battery but is maintenance free, has no vent, so should be good in the Spyker box.

I fitted it and it went in very easily and with some fiddling with the clamp (which had been bent previously to fit the last one) was able to get it held down well.

It is lower capacity than the original (600 CCA not 700CCA) but I won't be starting it in low temperatures nor is there any unusual load (like audio) so hope it will work out well.

Comment

Ok - managed to find a Size 90/T5 battery at the local Advanced Auto Parts store. They were very helpful in lining up various batteries for detailed measurement and comparison - seems not all batteries are the size they say online, so physical measuring was useful! They also took back the larger one I ordered online.

Their own brand Autocraft Gold 90-T5 is well within size, and has the terminals in the right place. It's not a gel battery but is maintenance free, has no vent, so should be good in the Spyker box.

I fitted it and it went in very easily and with some fiddling with the clamp (which had been bent previously to fit the last one) was able to get it held down well.

It is lower capacity than the original (600 CCA not 700CCA) but I won't be starting it in low temperatures nor is there any unusual load (like audio) so hope it will work out well.

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for sharing. Your experience and input will save the rest of us a lot of headaches!
                            Scott

Comment

That is great. Looks like a you found the solution. Thanks...
                              Rijk

Comment

Working...
                              X