No announcement yet.

Questions for C8 owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The forum doesn't have a lot of visitors? Ouch. I'd say it does relative to the Spyker population. Also not a lot of people know about them. And there hasn't been much new Spyker news in a while. Funny to post on a thread that is three years old though!

Anyway, welcome, I think you will love the car, and will like it here as well. There's fun even for us non-owners! I've seen 6 different Spykers in real life and they are simply beautiful. How I wish I was in your position!

So guys, you would think I would know this, but didn't the later C8's receive power brakes eventually? Or am I thinking of power steering?

Comment

I know we've had a couple of these threads where owners explain why they bought and love their Spyker but they remain a joy to read. Maybe we should keep these threads together somewhere so that they are more easy to find for prospective buyers.... ?
      The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do

Comment

Regarding not a lot of visitors - when a forum can go days without a posting, I think its "not a lot of visitors" so I wasn't sure how active the community is. I know that very few of these cars exist (something ilke 250?).

Rijk, thanks for the offer - I'm in California so that ride might be difficult :-(

I had considered a Morgan Aero 8. Saw the Supersports at the LA auto show but I didn't see the need to pay $200K when a used one was going for a lot less. So I flew to KY a few weeks ago and drove one. It sure is unique but not as unique as the Spyker (ok, we're splitting hairs here but Morgan is 100 years old and still making cars). Anyway, I had a number of complaints about the Morgan so I definitely want to drive the Spyker before I buy. Having owned Lotuses, I realize that low volume cars are always going to have idiosyncrasies so I'm ok with that. I had actually looked at buying a totally restored Jag XKE for about a bit less than what a used Spyker costs. But I decided against it. Here's my rationale for those interested:

Morgan:
        - unique
        - powered by reliable German engine (BMW V8)
        - fast
        - easy to maintain, dealer network is not too far away

but:
        - opening/closing the hood is a real pain (literally and figuratively).
        - no dead pedal - not a huge deal as its relatively easy to rest your foot on the clutch
        - very heavy clutch - I have a weak left knee and I'm not sure whether that would have been an issue or not
        - windshield is kind of "in your face"
        - tail happy - this is the one thing that kind of got me. I was going around a bend, not terribly fast, and the tail broke loose a little. The dealer said "oh, it doesn't have traction control" but neither did my Elise and it never broke loose on a street (say an on-ramp). Not that I couldn't control it, but it felt a bit weird
        - very long hood - this is perhaps the most difficult part. It feels like a big car when it isn't. Kind of like the Corvette. The rear is "right there" (behind the driver) but the front is a long way off. Felt like I was steering a powerful boat even though the car itself isn't that big. Perhaps something to get used to but I am used to smaller cars and couldn't quite "get it". My feeling is that the Spyker is smaller and should not feel like this although I've heard you can't see the front.

As to the Jag, I decided against it because no matter how much was done in the restoration, its still a 45 year old car that is bound to have issues. In a lot of ways, it would seem the Spyker is very similar to a modern XKE (down to the toggle switches)!.

Scott

Comment

Scott, I live in the Bay Area. There are a few Spykers here. Mine is supercharged, so it is slightly noisier than the usual, kind of fierce-sounding if provoked.

The car is all-manual everything, and light, compared to virtually any car on the road, except of course the Lotus. It was designed to compete head-to-head with the Ferrari Modena 360, which should give you a baseline for the car's performance envelope. The car is mechanically simple, built not unlike a 1970s race car (F1-style suspension). It is a driver's car, despite it's "smoking jacket" appearance.

To own one is to own an attention-magnet of the first order. I also own a Lamborghini Aventador and it does not get more attention.

Los Gatos Luxury Cars is no longer a Spyker dealer, but Cars Dawydiak in San Francisco is, I believe. Also, there is a forum member, METhomas, aka Mark Thomas who is located in Cincinatti who is probably the most active and knowledgeable Spyker sales guy in the US. You would do well to speak with him.

I have no opinion about the Morgan, not having driven one. They are beautiful in appearance, of course.

If you want to speak with me, PM me.
          With Tenacity, No Roof Is Impossible

Comment

Scott,

You will have more room in the Spyker than the Morgan. I thought the pedal box was really cramped, and there was nowhere for my left shoulder to go. Also, the Spyker will sound better.
            Rijk

Comment

That is very cool. I was wondering about the room around the pedal box. Is the pedal on the far left a dead pedal or is that an emergency brake? If the latter, can you rest your foot there?

Comment

It is a dead pedal on the left

My size 12 feet have a bit of difficulty (with pedal overlap) if my footwear is not a 'soccer style' driving shoe with a glove like fit. Another driving adjustment I had to make is more muscular leg-foot coordination for a more upright foot position due to my height (6'2") causing a more flexed position in the hip/knee/ankle. I also learned the hard way that driving in sandals in not advisable due to the erratic stopping and acceleration b/c the F1 type pedal arrangement is very responsive.

You won't regret buying a Spyker! Good luck with your decision!!
                Attached Files
                Nihil ausus, nihil acquisitus

Comment

Thanks, thats all good to know. I'm 5'10" but my legs are longish. I've often found that I have to either bend my knee (so I'm not outstretched to the steering wheel with my arms) or make some other adjustment. The Exige fits me like a glove. I had a BMW that I just couldn't make work. My Audi works fine though. Each car seems to have its idiosyncrasies.

One other question - I've noticed some folks have put stereos in their cars and more recent cars have an iPod with speaker arrangement. The car I'm looking at does not have a stereo. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on something. Would a DIN-1 (regular size radio) fit in the space at the bottom (below) the gear lever mechanism as it meets the lower part of the center console?

I saw some pics of someone who put a radio in the midst of the dash. While I'm sure that can be done, it does somewhat detract from the look.

I know, I know, the Ferrari guys are always talking about the music of the engine. Thats fine around town but for a long cruise, well, lets say it would get rather boring.

Scott

Comment

Scott, I think you'd fit very nicely into the car if you have narrow to normal frame. The seats are very supportive, but I would suspect anyone who has a larger build or frame might feel a bit cramped laterally.

#152 is one of the models you describe with an aftermarket head unit installed in the dash. I agree with the decreased aesthetics, but it was exceptionally well done and really doesn't offend. A single DIN unit will NOT fit under the center console. It's simply too narrow. My best suggestion for a head unit with no dash modification would be to pull the passenger glove box out (save for originality and reversal later) and do a custom install under the dash where there would be ample room after G.B. removal. Bear in mind that you would also have to relocate the ignition key which shouldn't be too challenging. The greater problem is the high cost of speaker placement if you want original Spyker door panels and dash panels. #152 has the updated panels found in the '09 and up which look very nice. The (much, much) cheaper alternative is to cut your existing door panels and install an aftermarket speaker of your choice. I would also recommend using a head unit with a sufficient enough amplifier to avoid having to do a custom installed separate amplifier. [Sorry for the dark photos, but I took them at night to help you visualize what I'm describing]

If you need more stereo specific information, I am happy to help
                    Attached Files
                    Nihil ausus, nihil acquisitus

Comment

... how about an i-pod with a headset?

Comment

I believe that it is illegal to put earphones in both ears while driving, unfortunately.

Comment

I have driven the Aero8 a few times. It is a nice car but...it's not a Spyker.
                          I bought a Spyker c8 Spyder 3 years ago. The Spyker is so much better, faster, nicer and more exclusive. Drive it and you will not look anymore for the Aero8 .

Dutchdude
                          Spykerowner #141
                          sigpic

Comment

http://www.spykerowner.com/forum/uno...r/186-045.html
                            Originally posted by srwhitman View Post
                            I believe that it is illegal to put earphones in both ears while driving, unfortunately.
                            ... of course. It was meant to be a joke! If you test drive a C8, you will hear why . By the way, I am quite far away, but still got to know 3 US Spyker owners personally. It's a nice small community!

I am a big fan of the "rough" side of the Spyker. You will find my touring and hillclimb docs under #045... Only a pre-war classic can give you a similar feeling when driving!

Hope to see you soon as ou next Spyker owner!

Comment

You wonŽt regret that the Spyker doesnŽt have power assisted brakes. The first time you step on the brakes, youŽll have the idea the brakes are working.

But once you get used to it, youŽll love it! Without power assistance there is so much feeling in the brake pedal. It is one of the great details which makes a Spyker a pleasure to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by SpykerOwner View Post
                                The first time you step on the brakes, youŽll have the idea the brakes are working.
                                Missing a word?
                                Rijk

Comment

Working...
                                X