No announcement yet.

When will Spyker valuations skyrocket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When will Spyker valuations skyrocket?

The question is not "if" but "when". Here is the case for appreciation:

* Rarity. ~250 examples (of various flavors) exist in the world. Fewer than any of the current Holy Trinity of Hypercars (and many of their predecessors, btw).

* Analog everything. No power steering. No brake assist. Manual shifting (in most cases).

* No driver's aids unless you count ABS.

* Stunning design. Love it or hate it, one cannot deny that it is a stand-out. It's rolling art.

* Bespoke, hand built car.

* Scissor doors. #sexyawesomecool

* Bullet-proof drive train and normally aspirated V8 engine.

* Intoxicating exhaust note.

* Cool factor. Even non-car people flip out when they see one. I've also yet to read (or watch) a bad review of one.

Each year that passes, high-end car makers lard on more HP, more Turbos, more electronic gizmos, fancier automated gearboxes, driver assist (BLIS, self parking, etc.). At the same time, there is a move by collectors and enthusiasts to seek out more 'analog' cars which is sending values through the roof - look no further than the 993 Turbo - or just about anything with a stick-shift.

In Jeremy Clarkson's Top Gear review, he said (I'm paraphrasing) "...I sort of expected it to be a million billion dollars."

When making the case to my wife to purchase #153; I promised her that it will be worth $1m in 20 years (2035) when we're ready to retire. Was I wrong?

I am sure we are all in for this! ;-)

Comment

High prices are very much linked to low mileage. While I think that my car is not depreciating any more, I'm enjoying my car too much to not drive it
      Rijk

Comment

Not sure if they will sky rocket towards $1m but value has increased lately and demand has grown resulting in less Spykers for sale and prices going up. In the Spykers currently for sale thread we had over 50 Spykers at one time and prices had dropped to close to $100K for a used one and less than $150K for an unused one. Now we have less than 20 with prices of $200K and over and only very few unused ones left for sale at the moment.
        Winning on sunday, selling on monday!

Comment

I think it depends on Spyker's future.

If all turns out well and hundreds of Venators are produced, then I think the C8 will be the 'original' modern Spyker (with the most attractive engineering and finish) and prices will rise. If Spyker disappear then it will become an oddity that will hold value as a museum piece with a few being driven around by us on the forum!!

Comment

Originally posted by Laviolette GT2R View Post
            Not sure if they will sky rocket towards $1m but value has increased lately and demand has grown resulting in less Spykers for sale and prices going up. In the Spykers currently for sale thread we had over 50 Spykers at one time and prices had dropped to close to $100K for a used one and less than $150K for an unused one. Now we have less than 20 with prices of $200K and over and only very few unused ones left for sale at the moment.
            I had no idea that you were regularly updating the 1st post in that thread (I'm probably not the only one) as I would only ever view the most recent posts. Thank you so much for keeping the list current.

Originally posted by mrobin33 View Post
            I think it depends on Spyker's future.

If all turns out well and hundreds of Venators are produced, then I think the C8 will be the 'original' modern Spyker (with the most attractive engineering and finish) and prices will rise. If Spyker disappear then it will become an oddity that will hold value as a museum piece with a few being driven around by us on the forum!!
            I see where you are coming from but I think over (enough) time they'll rise regardless of whether the company ever makes another car. Whatever becomes of Spyker, I hope at least they don't make more C8 Spyders (for selfish reasons). :^)

Oh, and I took #153 for a glorious 50 mile roundtrip along the coast and back in 70dF and sunshine yesterday. The looks and shouts of "nice car...what is it!!?" never gets old.

Comment

They were meant to be driven! If they are worth more in a few years, great, but the value lies in the enjoyment of ownership between now and then!

P.S., not so sure about the "bullet-proof" powertrain comment, but I'll go with "mechanically simple and easy to fix!"
              With Tenacity, No Roof Is Impossible

Comment

Well, asking prices haven't suffered at $650K for a Double 12, and $350K for a no mileage, no owner Spider.
                Rijk

Comment

Prices are indeed sky rocketing lately but sales are close to zero... Will be interesting how #219 will do when auctioned beginning of April: http://www.auctionsamerica.com/event...egory=vehicles
                  Winning on sunday, selling on monday!

Comment

$200-$250K seems much more reasonable, and at that level I would not even think about selling...
                    Rijk

Comment

http://www.erclassics.com/Spyker-C8-...php#gotophotos

At $360K, prices are indeed becoming tempting. Even for me. However, this car, that has never been driven, will need everything to get it on the road. Destined to never be enjoyed
                      Rijk

Comment

Originally posted by F Spider View Post
                        http://www.erclassics.com/Spyker-C8-...php#gotophotos

At $360K, prices are indeed becoming tempting. Even for me. However, this car, that has never been driven, will need everything to get it on the road. Destined to never be enjoyed
                        Does anyone know the VIN? I didn't spot it in the listing or in the pics. Should get it tracked on the "For sale" thread.

Bonus! Comes with the propeller steering wheel, luggage, cool key fob, teddy bear, and a coffee mug!!

Comment

#049....
                          Rijk

Comment

The three Spykers for sale in North America right now are $240K, $270K and $290K

I thought that collector car prices would be softening by now...
                            Rijk

Comment

Originally posted by F Spider View Post
                              The three Spykers for sale in North America right now are $240K, $270K and $290K

I thought that collector car prices would be softening by now...
                              The $240k is in Canada with Gulf Livery. The $270k is at Hyman. Where's the $290k for sale in North America?

Comment

Working...
                              X