Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warm up report

Sat 14 Jun 2008 24h Du Mans: Warm-up report

Both cars went out minutes after the green flag was given at nine o’clock this morning. Andrea Chiesa did the 45 minute warm-up session in the #94 Speedy Racing car and Peter Dumbreck and Ralf Kelleners shared time in the #85 SNORAS Spyker Squadron car.

The crew started to remove the engines used in qualifying immediately after Thursday’s ‘night’ session. Two of the crew worked all night and were re-joined by the crew on Friday morning. Early in the morning the gates of the pit lane were opened and many race fans paid a visit to get a close look of their favorite cars. Tons of Dutch, all dressed in orange for yesterday’s football match against France, visited the SNORAS Spyker Squadron pit box for a picture and a chat with the mechanics.

In the the evening the team had installed fresh engines in both cars and started to work on connecting and configuring all systems. The atmosphere was great as the Dutch won from the French with 4 - 1. After the match many orange colored fans that watched the game on big screens around the paddock, returned to their campsites but not before stopping in front of the Spyker pit box where the mechanics were still at work. They started singing, shouting and cheered for the Dutch national team.

At around 1 o’clock both cars were ready to today’s race and the mechanics went to bed for a few hours of sleep to return this morning at eight. In the warm-up all systems were checked by the three drivers and minor adjustments were made to the setup. All systems were healthy and, although warm-up was not used for a timed list, the team set the 7th and 8th time in GT2.

The crew now works on the last bits of work before the start of the race at 15:00. Regular updates will be published on Spyker Squadrons official website: Home Squadron | Spykercars and the race can be followed live via RTL7 (Netherlands), Eurosport (Europe and Asia), MotorsTV (Europe) and SpeedTV (USA) or Radio Le Mans (via Internet at radiolemans.com or at the track via FM 91.2).
    Winning on sunday, selling on monday!

Comment

I'm gonna leave for the weekend (no, not to Le Mans) so I leave you with some Le Mans essentials:

livestream = LIVE WARM-UP 24 UUR VAN LE MANS (Only in Holland I'm afraid) or Yahoo!
      Radio Le Mans = radiolemans.com (select LISTEN LIVE (upper left corner)
      Live timing = Result (select Race) or ! Official website of 24 Heures du Mans 2008 and 24 Heures Moto 2008 - ACO
      Live coverage = Planetlemans.com and ofcourse: 24H Du Mans | Spykercars

Enjoy! And don't forget to sheer for Spyker !

Kind Regards,

Stephan

Comment

Quali times:
        9 - #85 Snoras Spyker Squadron 4:03.641 - Spyker C8 Laviolette GT2R
        12 -#94 Speedy Racing Team 4:08.284 - Spyker C8 Laviolette GT2R

Warm-up times:
        7 - #94 Speedy Racing Team 4:07.970 Spyker C8 Laviolette
        8 - #85 Snoras Spyker Squadron 4:08.336 Spyker C8 Laviolette

Good to see that the #94 Spyker improved over it's quali time. So we should see a good racepace from both cars!

Comment

And here is the starting grid:
          http://www.lemans.org/24heuresdumans.../race_Grid.pdf

Peter Dumbreck will start in the #85 car and Andrea Chiesa will start in the #94 car.

Comment

Le Mans 24 hours after two hours

Le Mans, 14 June – It is 17:00 and we are two hours in the race of the 76th run of the ‘24 Heures du Mans’. At exactly three o’clock this afternoon the field of 55 prototypes and GT’s crossed the finish line. For the first time the green flag was not waved from the Rolex tower at the finish line but at 400 kms above the track from the international space station.

“We have never been better prepared. We have never been more excited. We are going to do our own race, we know what it takes, we are going to finish to race!” said Spyker Cars CEO mr. Victor Muller in the VIP Lounge above the team’s pit box just before the race.

Swiss Andrea Chiesa started the race in the #94 Speedy Racing Team Spyker C8. After an hour in the race he moved up two positions and ran in a tenth position in the GT2 class. In the other car, the #85 SNORAS Spyker Squadron car, it was Scotsman Peter Dumbreck to kick off the 24 hour race. He was also able to able to win a few positions and climbed up to a seventh position.

In the first 30 minutes many teams, including some of the leading diesel prototype equipes, had to make a pit stop. For some other teams the long race did not start well. In only two hours one car went off and got into a gravel trap whilst in two separate incidents four cars were damaged and had to return to the box for repairs.

After 45 minutes both Spyker’s returned to the pit lane to be refuelled. Both cars also did well in the second stint. At 16:40 both cars again returned to the box. This time not only to be refuelled but also for a new set of Michelin rubber and a driver change. Benjamin Leuenberger is currently running in eight position, just behind Ralf Kelleners who runs in a seventh position with the #85.

Source: Spyker Squadron

It is good news that there are already some problems for some cars in the GT2 class. The #83 Risi Ferrari is stopped and also the #80 & #76 Porsche's had a huge crash!

Comment

Oeps! Just heard that the #85 Spyker is pushed into the garage and that the enginecover is taken off...

Hopefully nothing serious!

Comment

Le Mans 24 hours after four hours:
                Le Mans, 14 June – After four hours of racing unfortunately the #85 car is in the box with an engine problem. The other car also had to return for a quick repair as the alternator did not work properly.

Le Mans 24 hours after six hours:
                The Swiss Speedy Racing Team Spyker, the last car still running, has been officially retired from the race with an engine failure.

Comment

It is a shame that both engines failed! I'm so hoping that they can make the engine's more reliable! It looks like they are OK for the 1000 km races, but 24h races are a bit too long I guess...

Comment

And some facts.

Full ACO Car/Top Speed Chart (km/h, number, class, team, car, mph) (During Warm-up)
                    298 km/h - 96 LMGT2 Virgo Motorsport Ferrari F430 GT, 185.71
                    298 km/h - 99 LMGT2 JMB Racing Ferrari F430 GT, 185.71
                    298 km/h - 80 LMGT2 Flying Lizard Motorsports Porsche 997 GT3 RSR, 185.71
                    298 km/h - 82 LMGT2 Risi Competizione Ferrari F430 GT, 185.71
                    297 km/h - 78 LMGT2 AF Corse SRL Ferrari F430 GT, 184.47
                    297 km/h - 77 LMGT2 Team Felbermayr-Proton Porsche 997 GT3 RSR, 184.47
                    297 km/h - 83 LMGT2 Risi Competizione Ferrari F430 GT, 184.47
                    296 km/h - 76 LMGT2 Imsa Performance Matmut Porsche 997 GT3 RSR, 183.85
                    296 km/h - 90 LMGT2 Farnbacher Racing Ferrari F430 GT, 183.85
                    295 km/h - 97 LMGT2 BMS Scuderia Italia Ferrari F430 GT, 183.23
                    290 km/h - 85 LMGT2 Snoras Spyker Squadon Spyker C8 Laviolette, 180.12
                    288 km/h - 94 LMGT2 Speedy Racing Team Spyker C8 Laviolette, 178.88

And I also noticed that the pitstops from Spyker were 5-10 seconds faster than those of the competition. And that is very important is 24h race.

Comment

The first picture I found or a C8 Laviolette GT2R with a complete closed lower air intake:

Comment

Originally posted by AX lover View Post
                        It is a shame that both engines failed! I'm so hoping that they can make the engine's more reliable! It looks like they are OK for the 1000 km races, but 24h races are a bit too long I guess...
                        Must be bad luck

It would have been so nice if both cars had finished.

Comment

Originally posted by AX lover View Post
                          The first picture I found or a C8 Laviolette GT2R with a complete closed lower air intake:
                          On page 3 (post 25 picture 3) it looks like the Squadron was experimenting with this. They taped the lower air intake off. On the same picture, you can see that the older "low downforce" nose was also tried.

Comment

What is the difference between the 'old' and the 'new' nose?

Comment

On this photograph you can see the old nose. The airflow behind the radiator is shallow.

1008_Spyker_12.jpg

On this photograph, you can see the new nose. The airflow behind the radiator is very steep, like a ramp. There is a second exit section as well with a very small spoilerlip on top of it. This nose was designed with solving the understeer problem in mind.

2536840280_b7b8373488_o.jpg

Here's one more

470_spykers_monza.jpg
                              Last edited by Laviolette GT2R; 18-06-2008, 23:05.

Comment

Le Mans 2008. I took these photo's myself half an hours after the start.

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

I made the photo from Victor Muller on the grid an hour before the start.

DSC_0043.jpg

He arrived in this one:

DSC_0038-2.jpg

I only got my telephoto with me so the car didn't fit but anyway a very nice Spyker.
                                I also have the photo's in 3008/2000 pix
                                Last edited by Dutchdude; 09-07-2008, 20:21.

Dutchdude
                                Spykerowner #141
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X