No announcement yet.

#005 - C8 Laviolette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And the air scoop in the roof was functional; all of the scoops on the current cars are fakes! They lead nowhere!

Comment

Which I think is a crying shame, I looooove functionality. If it isn't functional, just don't do it. Most of the time form following function looks better anyway. What do you think?

Comment

I typically agree, but sometimes you need to have some elements of style. I like the look of the scoops; the polished metal is a nice accent. However, when I was looking at #164, I couldn't believe it when I realized the scoops were blocked off.

It would be interesting to have someone photoshop a Spyker with the scoops eliminated!

Comment

Yes I wonder what that would look like, a bit dull I guess. I admit that the scoops add a sense of style and balance the overall look of the car, but I also recall an early press release in which Victor Muller prided himself for building cars on which all scoops, slots, etc. were functional. I used to always doubt that because for instance the vents in frot of and behind the front wheels lead to a side structure which houses the fuel tanks, so there couldn't be any airflow there. Also, as far as I am aware no real aerodynamic studies and tests were done before finalizing the design of the C8. I could live with that, but the fact that virtually NONE of the vents, slots and scoops are functional is stretching it a bit for me.

Edit: I made an impression but it leaves a lot to be desired as I only have Paint. But hey, better than nothing!

image_4485.jpg
          Last edited by Reddingius; 19-05-2009, 16:27.

Comment

There is at least one Spyker without the air intake on the roof: http://www.spykerowner.com/forum/uno...nge-china.html
            Winning on sunday, selling on monday!

Comment

That's a fascinating design study. On the one had, it's a very clean look, especially in the rocker panel area. But on the other hand, it now looks "heavy" in the hip area and doesn't look as aggressive.

Comment

The airtube on the new C8 Aileron is functional? At least it looks like it...

Comment

I like the roof air scoop, but would want it ti be functional. Maybe it is not an air intake problem, but a (rain) water intake problem Maybe it just needs an adjustable valve in the scoop.
                  Rijk

Comment

At the factory visit of 2008 it was said, if I remember correctly, that in countries like Dubai sand was the problem... The tube could be opened without any problem in "less sandy" countries we were told. But anyway the tube is not connected to an airbox, air will just floath in the enginebay so only some components in here will be cooled with air from this tube. I believe only the very first Laviolette's and Double 12's have an airbox. But AX lover pointed out allready: It looks like the new Aileron will have one, and therefore the roof airintake will be functional!
                    Winning on sunday, selling on monday!

Comment

Well I remembered the Aileron prototype to have an airbox, but I don't think the production version has one. If that's the case, sadly still no functional roofscoop + airbox combination.

Comment

Please look at te pictures of the production Aileron

Comment

You're right, it does have one, thankfully Quite hard to see though!
                          In the Laviolette GT2R one of the upper side scoops is the air intake. I think there the roofscoop is also functional (why else would it have wire mesh in it?) but only as engine cooling.

Comment

The airintake on the roof of the Laviolette GT2R isn't functional.

Comment

This one is now taken out of storage and at the factory
                              The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do

Comment

Working...
                              X