Official Spyker Owner Forum
 

Go Back   Official Spyker Owner Forum > Spyker Enthusiasts - Public Forum > Spyker Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 18-12-2016, 21:03
Sandy Eggo Sandy Eggo is offline
Spyker Owner #153
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Encinitas, CA
Posts: 162
A few random thoughts following a drive

Was cool but sunny yesterday so I took #153 out for a long drive yesterday. I had a few things cross my mind:

- Hearing a little pre-detonation (aka "knock") between 3-4,000 RPM and then stomping on it. Anyone else get this and what did you do? Could be a result of not enough exercise? Bad gas?

- Finally occurred to me why the steering column mounted controls are freaking impossible to see (I have the Lotus wheel). Car was meant to have the propellor wheel - in which case, the indicators would be plainly visible.

- The rag top metal structure behind the headrests seems to be stuck about 1/4 of the way up. I can't get it to budge up or down at the moment. I'm considering just taking the contraption off the car altogether. Has anyone done this and does it look compromised in any way?

- Clutch pedal squeaks like a duck every time I push it in. Anybody have a lubricant they recommend and a hint on which component exactly needs the attention?

- Brake squeal at low speed coming to a stop at a light. I don't recall them doing this before or rarely anyway. Solutions - more exercise? New pads?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 19-12-2016, 05:28
F Spider's Avatar
F Spider F Spider is offline
Spyker Owner #207 (former owner #107)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New York, Amsterdam
Posts: 6,160
Great that you got to drive your car. We are only looking at it. Thursday it was -4F overnight upstate.

-I've been having the pinging on and off also. Has gotten much better with ethanol free gas, and a reset of the computer (master switch).

-A propeller steering wheel is also the right size....

-There are two spring loaded pins one the sides. That might help. Many tops have been taken off permanently, and the car looks so much better without it.

-I would try a little WD40.

-The old pads squeel like crazy. The new ones not, but I would have thought that your car would have the new pads.
__________________
Rijk

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 19-12-2016, 16:50
mrobin33 mrobin33 is offline
Spyker Owner #138
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 565
Rijk's comment on the WD40 is juxtaposed to the brake Squeal comment so for health and safety reasons I should clarify not to put it on the brakes, but maybe on the clutch pedal joints.

I removed my roof and it was straightforward and looks a lot better, you can now see the cops behind you and so on. I shouldn't think rain is too much of an issue for you.

My brakes squeal a little when going slowly and I take it as them being too cool, so I get them a bit warmer and they're fine - the pedal feel softens a bit with heat too.

I have not heard/felt knocking, if anything I have a bit of a flat spot in the midrange (not a hole, just a more gradual flattening of torque before the power kicks in higher up)..

The other thing that happens in colder weather for me is that when cold the car is quite difficult to pull away smoothly in - very sensitive throttle; so I usually use second to avoid embarrassing kanagroo moments! This is worse depending on which car I last drove.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 19-12-2016, 17:41
Sandy Eggo Sandy Eggo is offline
Spyker Owner #153
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Encinitas, CA
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by F Spider View Post
Great that you got to drive your car. We are only looking at it. Thursday it was -4F overnight upstate.

-I've been having the pinging on and off also. Has gotten much better with ethanol free gas, and a reset of the computer (master switch).

-A propeller steering wheel is also the right size....

-There are two spring loaded pins one the sides. That might help. Many tops have been taken off permanently, and the car looks so much better without it.

-I would try a little WD40.

-The old pads squeel like crazy. The new ones not, but I would have thought that your car would have the new pads.
I guess I should read the manual but is there a complicated ECU relearning process after a master switch reset? Had to go through this a few times with my Ferrari 360. Would love to know where to get Ethanol free gas. Grrr.

I have the actual ragtop off of the car (has been since I took delivery). I'm referring to the metal skeleton for the top. Has anyone removed that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrobin33 View Post
Rijk's comment on the WD40 is juxtaposed to the brake Squeal comment so for health and safety reasons I should clarify not to put it on the brakes, but maybe on the clutch pedal joints.

I removed my roof and it was straightforward and looks a lot better, you can now see the cops behind you and so on. I shouldn't think rain is too much of an issue for you.

My brakes squeal a little when going slowly and I take it as them being too cool, so I get them a bit warmer and they're fine - the pedal feel softens a bit with heat too.

I have not heard/felt knocking, if anything I have a bit of a flat spot in the midrange (not a hole, just a more gradual flattening of torque before the power kicks in higher up)..

The other thing that happens in colder weather for me is that when cold the car is quite difficult to pull away smoothly in - very sensitive throttle; so I usually use second to avoid embarrassing kanagroo moments! This is worse depending on which car I last drove.
Hah, I've had a couple kangaroo moments as well. I usually drive it barefoot and can manage the throttle to a very fine degree.

I think I can live with the brakes - the squeal is more race-car than NYC taxi-cab.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 19-12-2016, 18:26
SpykerOwner's Avatar
SpykerOwner SpykerOwner is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 4,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Eggo View Post
I'm referring to the metal skeleton for the top. Has anyone removed that?
As far as I know most of the owners who removed the soft top also got rid of the metal skeleton, making the C8 a real roadster
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6tag_151015-153823.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	589.2 KB
ID:	16802  
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 19-12-2016, 21:35
F Spider's Avatar
F Spider F Spider is offline
Spyker Owner #207 (former owner #107)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New York, Amsterdam
Posts: 6,160
After using the master switch, the car needs about 50 miles of relearning. A variation of speeds and roads is the best
__________________
Rijk

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 28-12-2016, 21:14
Sandy Eggo Sandy Eggo is offline
Spyker Owner #153
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Encinitas, CA
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpykerOwner View Post
As far as I know most of the owners who removed the soft top also got rid of the metal skeleton, making the C8 a real roadster
Well, that took all of 5 minutes to remove that contraption. 3 (10mm) bolts per side and voila! I put the bolts back in to keep the shim/plate in place (and to not lose the bolts). Looks so much better now.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 28-12-2016, 23:29
F Spider's Avatar
F Spider F Spider is offline
Spyker Owner #207 (former owner #107)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New York, Amsterdam
Posts: 6,160
I know, as if it was designed that way
__________________
Rijk

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 29-12-2016, 06:07
SpykerOwner's Avatar
SpykerOwner SpykerOwner is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 4,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Eggo View Post
Looks so much better now.
Agreed
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 29-12-2016, 16:20
F Spider's Avatar
F Spider F Spider is offline
Spyker Owner #207 (former owner #107)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New York, Amsterdam
Posts: 6,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Eggo View Post
Looks so much better now.
We need pictures, just to make sure
__________________
Rijk

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.